• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows 7 - Get a browser with no browser

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows 7 - Get a browser with no browser

I am about to install Windows 7 this evening and suddenly come across an interesting problem.

Windows 7 comes without a browser within europe, so how do you get online to get a browser if you have no browser?

discussed here
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

web <> internet.

Download Firefox by FTP.
    My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Email someone to email you back a browser as an attachment.
      My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
        web <> internet.

Download Firefox by FTP.
        Doesn't that depend on MS not hiding the command line in some obscure place?

It sounds as though they are taking their bat and their ball home here.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

False alarm. This was something MS were threatening to do, but they finally realised that behaving like idiots wasn't impressing anybody.

From the amazon.co.uk Windows 7 FAQ:
          The latest information available is that all editions of Windows 7 will include the Internet Explorer 8 web browser, pre-installed for immediate access to the internet. Should you wish to use an alternative browser, simply access the internet using Internet Explorer 8 and then download the browser of your choice.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
            Email someone to email you back a browser as an attachment.
            Could be difficult. I read on the Reg that it also shipped with no email client and that also had to be downloaded.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeC1408 View Post
              Could be difficult. I read on the Reg that it also shipped with no email client and that also had to be downloaded.
              This is correct, but you can patch one in via windows update, the "live essentials" patch

But as Nick pointed out, Euro version does come with IE now so non issue

Comment

Windows 7 doesn't come with a keyboard so how am I supposed to logon?

Of course it has a web browser. IE8.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  False alarm. This was something MS were threatening to do, but they finally realised that behaving like idiots wasn't impressing anybody.

From the amazon.co.uk Windows 7 FAQ:
                  The latest information available is that all editions of Windows 7 will include the Internet Explorer 8 web browser, pre-installed for immediate access to the internet. Should you wish to use an alternative browser, simply access the internet using Internet Explorer 8 and then download the browser of your choice.
                  But that text also (at 5-Sep-2009) says:
                  Please note: This information is subject to change. Amazon.co.uk will continue to update this page as and when further information becomes available.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                    But that text also (at 5-Sep-2009) says:
                    Please note: This information is subject to change. Amazon.co.uk will continue to update this page as and when further information becomes available.
                    Microsoft Legal's latest idea is that IE ships with Windows, and then users will be offered a choice of alternative browsers to install and use by default "Shortly after new Windows PCs are set up by the user" (unless they've already set up a non-IE browser as their default).

Comment

Working...
                    X