• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PC Rebuild time?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys...

Bit the bullet and just "did it"...

All went surprisingly well. OK some of the stuff on there will need rebuilding over a period of time, but I now have a stripped down superfast PC (well at least as fast as it ever was.

It has 2Mb of RAM currently, but I'll update it to 3Mb and that'll about take it as fast as it'll ever get?

I do feel a bit "chavvy". It's like pimping up a 1 litre Corsa with a big bore exhaust and body kit
    'elf and safety guru

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
      Vista 64-bit

No point getting XP 64.... not much is supported under XP 64.
      Yep, but he said he was using XP at the moment. My point was that there was actually no point sticking another 2GB in there.

And as far as Vista 64bit goes, I'd definitely hold off for Windows 7 anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by thelace View Post
        I do feel a bit "chavvy".
        "environmentally aware" and "cost conscious"

It always comes as a surprise to find out the slow, clunky old piece of crap on your desk is still the superfast whizzo box of lightning you bought three years ago.

That's why I'm still running two boxes with Windows ME and my server is Windows 98SE. Keep 'em clean and keep 'em mean.
        My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
          Yep, but he said he was using XP at the moment. My point was that there was actually no point sticking another 2GB in there.

And as far as Vista 64bit goes, I'd definitely hold off for Windows 7 anyway.
          Even if XP 32 doesn't support the full 4gb, it would be worth going for the 4gb so that when the OP goes to Windows 7, there won't be the need to upgrade the memory again.
          If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by thelace View Post
            It has 2Mb of RAM currently, but I'll update it to 3Mb and that'll about take it as fast as it'll ever get?
            I would probably add a little more...

HTH
            "If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier"

Comment

It all went relatively easily.

I'm quite proud of my self.

Only issues were, I forgot to back up everyones internet favourites and the keyboard decided it was French or something.... I lost my @ Then had to reset the keyboard preferences in everybodies logins...

Just wishing I'd done it sooner....
              'elf and safety guru

Comment

Working...
              X