• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: PC Rebuild time?

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "PC Rebuild time?"

Collapse

• thelace
    replied
    It all went relatively easily.

I'm quite proud of my self.

Only issues were, I forgot to back up everyones internet favourites and the keyboard decided it was French or something.... I lost my @ Then had to reset the keyboard preferences in everybodies logins...

Just wishing I'd done it sooner....

Leave a comment:

• daviejones
    replied
    Originally posted by thelace View Post
    It has 2Mb of RAM currently, but I'll update it to 3Mb and that'll about take it as fast as it'll ever get?
    I would probably add a little more...

HTH

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Yep, but he said he was using XP at the moment. My point was that there was actually no point sticking another 2GB in there.

And as far as Vista 64bit goes, I'd definitely hold off for Windows 7 anyway.
    Even if XP 32 doesn't support the full 4gb, it would be worth going for the 4gb so that when the OP goes to Windows 7, there won't be the need to upgrade the memory again.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    I do feel a bit "chavvy".
    "environmentally aware" and "cost conscious"

It always comes as a surprise to find out the slow, clunky old piece of crap on your desk is still the superfast whizzo box of lightning you bought three years ago.

That's why I'm still running two boxes with Windows ME and my server is Windows 98SE. Keep 'em clean and keep 'em mean.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
    Vista 64-bit

No point getting XP 64.... not much is supported under XP 64.
    Yep, but he said he was using XP at the moment. My point was that there was actually no point sticking another 2GB in there.

And as far as Vista 64bit goes, I'd definitely hold off for Windows 7 anyway.

Leave a comment:

• thelace
    replied
    Thanks guys...

Bit the bullet and just "did it"...

All went surprisingly well. OK some of the stuff on there will need rebuilding over a period of time, but I now have a stripped down superfast PC (well at least as fast as it ever was.

It has 2Mb of RAM currently, but I'll update it to 3Mb and that'll about take it as fast as it'll ever get?

I do feel a bit "chavvy". It's like pimping up a 1 litre Corsa with a big bore exhaust and body kit

Leave a comment:

• pmeswani
    replied
    Originally posted by Bunk View Post
    Actually, unless he's using XP64 (which most people aren't) there's no point getting more than 3GB.
    Vista 64-bit

No point getting XP 64.... not much is supported under XP 64.

Leave a comment:

• Bunk
    replied
    Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    With the price of RAM as low as it is, providing your Mobo supports 4Gb of RAM then you simply have no excuse for using less than this, IMO.
    Actually, unless he's using XP64 (which most people aren't) there's no point getting more than 3GB.

Leave a comment:

• Fred Bloggs
    replied
    With the price of RAM as low as it is, providing your Mobo supports 4Gb of RAM then you simply have no excuse for using less than this, IMO.

Leave a comment:

• gingerjedi
    replied
    Originally posted by Sysman View Post
    Just a couple of points:

1) Identify what hardware components you have and grab the drivers before you wipe. Believe me, there's nothing worse than not having the correct drivers to access your CD/DVD or NIC when you start a rebuild.

2) Make a note of any customised settings you have. Taking copious screen shots of config settings before you start can save much grief.

3) 3 days sounds accurate. It took me only 2 days the first time I did it, but that was a dawn to midnight job.
    May I add that you download service pack 3 beforehand and burn it to disk, this will save you from having to do most of the updates.

Once done install office and any other essentials then take a ghost image for next time.

Leave a comment:

• George Parr
    replied
    One more thing - make sure you have noted your mail server settings and POP3 passwords. If you need to see the hashed out passwords in Outlook there is an handy utility on the net - Google 'snadboy's revelation'.

Leave a comment:

• Sysman
    replied
    Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
    Without an XP install disk, you cannot do the most effective fix which is to re-install everything from scratch.

If you can scrounge / borrow / steal one from ClientCo, then backup your stuff, reformat the drive and reinstall the opsys, then your apps, then your files and then you will find:

a) it is 10x faster than it was yesterday

b) you have lost your spelling dictionary, customised settings, browser history, those nice fonts you downloaded, your saved games, all your email (what was THAT doing under \WINDOWS anyway?) and a 1001 other things that you could probably live without.

c) you will be back up and working within 3 days with a really fast machine.
    Just a couple of points:

1) Identify what hardware components you have and grab the drivers before you wipe. Believe me, there's nothing worse than not having the correct drivers to access your CD/DVD or NIC when you start a rebuild.

2) Make a note of any customised settings you have. Taking copious screen shots of config settings before you start can save much grief.

3) 3 days sounds accurate. It took me only 2 days the first time I did it, but that was a dawn to midnight job.

Leave a comment:

• RichardCranium
    replied
    It's running XP and didn't come with a bootable disc.
    Without an XP install disk, you cannot do the most effective fix which is to re-install everything from scratch.

If you can scrounge / borrow / steal one from ClientCo, then backup your stuff, reformat the drive and reinstall the opsys, then your apps, then your files and then you will find:

a) it is 10x faster than it was yesterday

b) you have lost your spelling dictionary, customised settings, browser history, those nice fonts you downloaded, your saved games, all your email (what was THAT doing under \WINDOWS anyway?) and a 1001 other things that you could probably live without.

c) you will be back up and working within 3 days with a really fast machine.

But without the Opsys install disk, there's only basic maintenance.
    - delete your browser history
    - delete everything in the %TEMP% area
    - empty the waste basket
    - ScanDisk all drives
    - Defrag all drives
    and those sort of things.

Mind you, if you haven't run a defrag for more than 3 months, doing that alone will make you realise you don't need a new PC.

Having done basic maintenance, consider upgrading the RAM. How much is installed?
    Last edited by RichardCranium; 22 August 2009, 15:55.

Leave a comment:

• thelace
    replied
    Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
    Well, you start like this

Then you get like this

And then do this

After that you'll feel like a

and tell you're other half you're going down the shops to by a new PC

HTH
    Thanks Mr Hirsuite Butt

Leave a comment: