• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MAC vs PC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ForkBoy View Post
    I'd trade it in a thrice for a Solaris lappy if I could find one that worked properly out of the box.
    You can run Solaris x86 on a lappy, what's the problem? Or Linux if you wish. But why Solaris? Surely MacOS does what you want better on a Mac than anything else ever could.

And you might also be amazed to hear that Putty isn't the only terminal program available for Windows.

Comment

mac and pc. why not have your cake and eat it? macbook rather than macbook pro will be fine. you'll probably want to biggie up the hard drive though.

Comment

Hardware aside the experience between OS cannot be compared IMO.

I feel Apple focus on user experience while Microsoft tend to do things by the book, even if that means allowing the machine to grind to a halt.

Come the end of the end stress levels are not near as high using OS X compared to XP after a good 7 or 8 hours for example.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Why not get both ?

You can have a uber-specced PC (and no, I don't mean an off-the-shelf one...read a few issues of Custom PC and you'll be able to build one easily) which will tear strips off anything Apple can produce.

That way, you will have decent PC for serious work and gaming, and yet still have a nice shiny Macbook to wave at people so they can massage your style ego.
          Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek View Post

You can have a uber-specced PC (and no, I don't mean an off-the-shelf one...read a few issues of Custom PC and you'll be able to build one easily) which will tear strips off anything Apple can produce.
            If the OS isn't named after a big cat, I'm not interested.
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

I've just bought a new Dell Studio 1555 laptop which I picked up for £499.

The spec's:-
              Processor: Pentium dual core T4200 @ 2GHz
              Memory: 4Gb
              System type: 64 bit
              O/S: Windows Vista
              Disk: 300Gb
              Graphics card/Resolution: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 1366*768

It looks nice. Sony Vaio's are even nicer but also a bit pricier. I like the MacBook and MacBook Pro's but not enough to pay the premium price asked. I think the desktop monitors and keyboards are cooler and wouldn't mind buying these on their own.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                You can run Solaris x86 on a lappy, what's the problem? Or Linux if you wish. But why Solaris? Surely MacOS does what you want better on a Mac than anything else ever could.

And you might also be amazed to hear that Putty isn't the only terminal program available for Windows.
                Oh, Linux, Solaris and BSD will run fine on a lappy but getting various drivers running properly and getting sleep/hibernate to work is generally more work than I can be bothered with, unless i can invoice for it of course.

Why Solaris? Just what I'm used to. Been paid for using it for years and would rather not invest the time learning anything else in as much detail, again invoice permitting.

As for Windows terminals; who cares?

[Sorry if i sound stroppy. It's been a long day of dealing with architects who were too important to attend design meetings 6 months ago and are now throwing their toys out of the pram because things are not working the way they expected.]

Comment

Originally posted by mace View Post
                  I've just bought a new Dell Studio 1555 laptop which I picked up for £499.

The spec's:-
                  Processor: Pentium dual core T4200 @ 2GHz
                  Memory: 4Gb
                  System type: 64 bit
                  O/S: Windows Vista
                  Disk: 300Gb
                  Graphics card/Resolution: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570 1366*768

It looks nice. Sony Vaio's are even nicer but also a bit pricier. I like the MacBook and MacBook Pro's but not enough to pay the premium price asked. I think the desktop monitors and keyboards are cooler and wouldn't mind buying these on their own.
                  I have got one of these, I had to replace the screen as I was carrying it in my soft bag and if you press the top of the case too much it damages the screen. I was running for the train alot and the screen really suffered.

Personally I would not buy a dell again, I had to spend 50 minutes on the phone telling Bob the screen was shafted. The engineer came round and first thing said was "WTF is wrong with that?"

I don't like the mac keyboards TBH.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                    I have got one of these, I had to replace the screen as I was carrying it in my soft bag and if you press the top of the case too much it damages the screen. I was running for the train alot and the screen really suffered.

Personally I would not buy a dell again, I had to spend 50 minutes on the phone telling Bob the screen was shafted. The engineer came round and first thing said was "WTF is wrong with that?"

I don't like the mac keyboards TBH.
                    On Site engineer support... the very reason you SHOULD be buying a Dell
                    And if you purchase through the company then you get the irish call center and things are sorted out in a much more polite and efficient manner.
                    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Working...
                    X