• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Website wanted

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zen Cart's a good starting point, used it for a couple of shops in the past.

Linky
    Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by scotspine View Post
      me too! i was just on the point of <ctrl> v'ing the url of my latest masterpiece into a new thread when i thought, 'i'll just have a peek first to see what mood the board is in today'. phew! they mauled the poor guy. i think i'll hang fire until i get the url re-writing finished

mind you, 500 squids!!!!
      To be honest, I'm not that bothered by the critique. If I had shown you guys what the previous web designer did, and how much he charged, you would probably spend all week slating it.

I'm not a web designer by day.... I only charged the company £400 to do that site... that's all. But if someone wanted a more professional site done, then I would spend more and for more cash.
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Fair and square.

Although the previous iterations had clearer navigation.

If the customer's happy, and they pay you, then that's a victory. Not necessarily a victory for common sense, but a victory nonetheless.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
          If the customer's happy, and they pay you, then that's a victory. Not necessarily a victory for common sense, but a victory nonetheless.
          What utter nonsense!! Have some pride in your work!! I would never put out crap even if the customer specifically asked for crap. I've turned down contracts and refused to do certain aspects simply because what they're asking for is rubbish. This job isn't about keeping the customer happy at all costs, it's about building a reputation for quality work. If you have an idiot/cheapskate client it's easy to kep them quiet, and even easier to get a rep for shoddy work (i.e. the original respondent). Any of you likely to employ him based on that reference point? No? Thought not.

Comment

Originally posted by Underscore Pt2 View Post
            All - i have a friend who is looking for a website to be created. 4 or 5 pages offering jewellery for sale etc and with the required checkout / link to paypal etc.

Its probably just a fwe hours work for someone with the skills....happy to pass on contact details if you fancy it.....PM me...
            You should install oscommerce and then look through a list of the
            templates on http://www.templatemonster.com/oscommerce-templates.php these are very professional and have used them in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
              Fair and square.

Although the previous iterations had clearer navigation.

The previous iteration was a mess. Some top level menus were clickable, some were not. The text was impossible to read (Black on blue). The previous iteration did not attract any orders. Fair enough the current iteration has attracted millions of orders, but it's getting more business than it had before. The new iteration had clearer structure over the older one. But as one would say... whatever floats your boat.
              If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

If your mate wanted a somewhat wierd layout like
                this I might consider doing very similar at rather less than above as I have to do a version with fewer tabs using Paypal for the missus anyway.

The shopping cart is a wierd thing I based on Nopcart but nobody paid me for it and it works, sends feedback emails etc. That's Worldpay but Paypal does simple buttons you can put on each product that redirect you to their own pay page. A full cart with Paypal seems to be a problem due to US limitations on postcode assuming their documentation is correct.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Shopify?

Comment

You could try one of my Plan B apps: http://store.d2sitelock.com/StoreFro...e-Version.aspx

Soon to be released in its new super-shiny v.2 form. Its designed to make it a piece of p1ss to create an online store and i've used the thing so often, i can take a clean PC to fully running D2 StoreFront installation in about 5 mins.

The version you see is pretty tired and long overdue an overhaul but the new version i'm running here is slick and just as easy to use and will be a straight update over the existing version.

So may be worth a whirl if you want summat, quick, functional and very stable.

Comment

Originally posted by timfoster View Post
                      What utter nonsense!! Have some pride in your work!!
                      I thought I'd get a reply such as this.
                      So, note my comment about this not being a victory for common sense.
                      Of course I agree with you, timfoster, although after many years at this game, it's tempting to have the 'well if that's what they really want and they won't bloody listen despite what we say, then to hell with them' attitude. Forgive me for being suitably cynical.
                      Last edited by realityhack; 19 August 2009, 05:33. Reason: do not post when pissed

Comment

Working...
                      X