• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to protect documents from being shared/pirated?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
    My friend is starting a business which involves the distribution of knowledge contained in office documents.

Probably the biggest risk to the business would be piracy and copying of the files.

Does anyone know a good way to protect the files? They are distributed on usb drive / CD / download.

Thanks.
    to me it sounds like a short lived business.
    if your friend does not provide anything more than the knowledge in the docs he will be copied and his product made free quite quickly. Unless in some obscure niche ofcourse.

why not mix it with come human consulting. It can still be made slightly scalable.
    "Condoms should come with a free pack of earplugs."

Comment

Sounds like you need to publish a book to me.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

.exe wrapper for texts, like those exam trainers ?

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
          faintly watermarked .PDFs that say where they have been stolen from, and that cannot easily be copy 'n' pasted.
          Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
          Doesn't stop anyone printing it out then scanning it with OCR software to create a new document.
          If you have a PDF document with text in then you can select the text in the reader and still copy it.

If you generate an image from the 'document' then there is no text to select, so its a bit harder but then yes OCR software can be used to copy it, unless you can find a font that is still legible but also confusing to most OCR software.
          This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Originally posted by MPwannadecentincome View Post
            If you have a PDF document with text in then you can select the text in the reader and still copy it.
            There is an option when creating a .PDF to prevent the PDF reader allowing copying of the text. It would only stop the casual copyer, obviously.
            My all-time favourite Dilbert cartoon, this is: BTW, a Dumpster is a brand of skip, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardCranium View Post
              There is an option when creating a .PDF to prevent the PDF reader allowing copying of the text. It would only stop the casual copyer, obviously.
              I think this depends on the reader you use taking any notice of it? Adobe Reader might but I gave up using that a year ago when it took so long to start up and ate up all my memory.
              This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Working...
              X