• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dell D600 just died

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dell D600 just died

I was using it last night when it just died, full battery and good power supply (both tested this morning at client site).

There is absolutely no sign of life, one thing I did notice is the green light on the charger goes out when you plug it into the laptop (fine on client’s laptop)? Could this be a short on the MB causing the charger to somehow protect itself??
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

My son's did that a few weeks ago, I was told it was beyond economical repair as it's usually a fault on the motherboard.

Time to buy a new one gingerjedi

Comment

Dead MB by the sound of it.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Thought so, I'm now scouring the various cupboards onsite looking for one with a broken screen.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Shall I send flowers?

Comment

.. it could simply be the surface mounted power jack thingy, the spot solder joints crack with too much wiggling. Apparently when this happens the whole thing shuts up shop and you get the lamp/led out fault. It's a very common fault with the D600

How much wiggling have you been doing?

The (Dell specific) jack is available on eBay (along with heaps of other spares) although very fiddly to solder (apparently). Why they didn't make this a small PCB like the USB, Modem and power on/off boards is beyond me.

My D600 is now five years old and apart from the hinges - just won't die. I recently had a new lid complete with hinges shipped by Dell from HK for A$45. I don't think it's ever going to die

Comment

D600 (well I have a D610) rule !

I think perhaps Criags tips might get you out of this jam - if its the Motherboard then - its not going to be worth getting that done you could pick up a second hand D600 for - I dont know ? Not much I expect.

Comment

Working...
              X