• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MacBook Pro / Bootcamp / Vista

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TroubleAtMill View Post
    2. I don't think so, the Dell CD will have specific configuration for the Dell. It's been a while since I installed Bootcamp, but doesn't it need an original XP/Vista CD as part of the installation?
    Agreed, extremely doubtful that a Dell CD would work. I'm not sure of the current status of Bootcamp, but the first version of it required an XP CD with SP2 already applied - i.e. the installation depended on the SP2 stuff found on the CD and you couldn't use an older CD with a view to applying SP2 once installed.

Originally posted by TroubleAtMill View Post
    And finally.... OSX for leisure? Most people do the reverse as (serious) gaming is still the reserve of Windows.
    You forget the audio and graphics capabilities of OS X for those of us who aren't gamers.

More importantly for me, one of the primary reasons I adopted OS X was that after a hard day battling with Windows I wanted to leave that stuff at work. Looking back, that's why I abandoned Linux at home too - it was too much like taking work home. I've no doubt that I'll have another go with Linux now it has matured, but back in 2001 it was still too much like taking work home with me.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I have a 15" MacBook Pro bought earlier this year.. running Windows 7 on a dual boot and the battery life is significantly less than when using the Mac OS..

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.

It seems that which ever way I go it would seriously reduce the battery life.

Looks like it's the Sony Z Series.

Comment

Forget running them in a VM. I used to use VM Ware Fusion and Parallels just for Office, Project and Visio. VMs suck resources dry and not worth it unless you fully need to be in a Win environment.

Now I use Bottles for each app and it works like a dream - no resource hogging, light running of Office apps, use it only when I need it. Check out CrossOver and see for yourself.

P

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            I find my MacBook bought a year ago has terrible battery life. Even just browsing the web it's not great, and never has been. It charges up fast enough, but I don't think I'd ever get 7 hours from it, 4-5 is probably the most and less if I was using it intensively.
            It's the new ones with the fixed internal battery that have the monster life. if you bought it a year ago it will have a removable battery and 4-5 hours us quite good...
            ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Loew View Post
              Forget running them in a VM. I used to use VM Ware Fusion and Parallels just for Office, Project and Visio. VMs suck resources dry and not worth it unless you fully need to be in a Win environment.

Now I use Bottles for each app and it works like a dream - no resource hogging, light running of Office apps, use it only when I need it. Check out CrossOver and see for yourself.

P
              Don't understand that.

I use Fusion to run Visual Studio, Office and other Win-only apps all the time and find the performance pretty good, once the VM has booted up.

You have to expect some performance hit and resource consumption, but if you have a machine with a bit of poke and enough memory, it works fine.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

Another U turn has been executed and the following is being purchased

13" MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz 4Mb

Now to decide on Parallels or VMWare to run XP Pro. It seems each has it's own set of Pros and Cons and there is no real out right winner.

Want to purchase the above at the same time as the MBP but may result to downloading each in trial version and picking the one I get on with best.

Thanks again for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeC1408 View Post
                  Thanks for the replies.

Another U turn has been executed and the following is being purchased

13" MacBook Pro 2.53 GHz 4Mb

Now to decide on Parallels or VMWare to run XP Pro. It seems each has it's own set of Pros and Cons and there is no real out right winner.

Want to purchase the above at the same time as the MBP but may result to downloading each in trial version and picking the one I get on with best.

Thanks again for your help.
                  FWIW, I prefer VMWare Fusion. Much better tech support in my experience.

I can use (in a Windows VM) printers and scanners physically attached to my Mac with Fusion straight out of the box. Parallels gave me all kinds of grief doing this last time I tried it - which was admittedly about 18 months ago, so maybe things have improved.

Good luck with it anyway.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice folks.

I phoned Parallels (London Number) to ask them about battery life and they said they would email me the tech sheet. Great I thought till it turned up in German

Anyway a bit more digging and video watching and I have purchased Fusion 2

Just waiting for the MPB to be delivered now, not sure about the Mighty Mouse, that may be returned and I'll stick with my usual mouse, spur of the moment purchase

Thanks Again.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeC1408 View Post
                      Thanks for all the advice folks.

I phoned Parallels (London Number) to ask them about battery life and they said they would email me the tech sheet. Great I thought till it turned up in German

Anyway a bit more digging and video watching and I have purchased Fusion 2

Just waiting for the MPB to be delivered now, not sure about the Mighty Mouse, that may be returned and I'll stick with my usual mouse, spur of the moment purchase

Thanks Again.
                      The Mighty Mouse is anything but 'mighty', Mike. Bin it. It's junk.

Microsoft Wireless Laser Mouse 8000 is my fave.

Logitech MX Revolution is pretty good too but had some problems with Bluetooth connections with Mac after reboots.

Comment

Working...
                      X