• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Microsoft to give away anti-virus software

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microsoft to give away anti-virus software

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8095932.stm

Interesting.

They'll be putting an entire industry out of business.

Hard to see how bundling a complete AV with Windows would not fall foul of anti-competition regs.

I think it's a good move, but I expect McAfee, Sophos et al, might take another view.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
      Interesting.

They'll be putting an entire industry out of business.

Hard to see how bundling a complete AV with Windows would not fall foul of anti-competition regs.

I think it's a good move, but I expect McAfee, Sophos et al, might take another view.
      "...the software will tackle viruses but lack the broader range of utilities, such as parental locks, found in paid-for security suites."

So the AV vendors will be able to compete on all the useless cruft they've been adding to their products for years, which any competent user disables ASAP because it cripples the machine.

I wonder if this will lead to people realising that they've been buying snake oil all these years.

Comment

Shame they are phasing out OneCare though as i've used it for a while and its very good. Its other features such as central backup, printer sharing and scheduled tuning are handy and but guess they'll be gone in the new thing.

As long as the new AV is as unobtrusive as OneCare then i'll happily accept the freebie.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          "...the software will tackle viruses but lack the broader range of utilities, such as parental locks, found in paid-for security suites."

So the AV vendors will be able to compete on all the useless cruft they've been adding to their products for years, which any competent user disables ASAP because it cripples the machine.

I wonder if this will lead to people realising that they've been buying snake oil all these years.
          Exactly Nick.

I know people who still swear by Norton, even though it's the biggest piece of superfluous garbage the software world has cranked out to date.

So-called 'utilities' and 'parental locks'. Gimme a break.

If the snake oil vendors can make a living off these offerings then they must have fiercely powerful marketing.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Exactly Nick.

I know people who still swear by Norton, even though it's the biggest piece of superfluous garbage the software world has cranked out to date.

So-called 'utilities' and 'parental locks'. Gimme a break.

If the snake oil vendors can make a living off these offerings then they must have fiercely powerful marketing.
            Mostly what they have is an ignorant and fearful customer base.

It's an unfortunate fact that much of the PC buying public wouldn't know how to download and install an AV/Spyware product if they had to. Since many PC's are shipped with trial versions of the big commercial packages a significant number just sign up and pay when they get spammed with warnings that the product will expire.

Comment

And that's exactly why they are not bundling it... the new product will be part of Windows Live suite of downloadable software.

Comment

Originally posted by futurix View Post
                And that's exactly why they are not bundling it... the new product will be part of Windows Live suite of downloadable software.
                Which OEM's like DELL will have auto installed as part of their DELL install on top of MS. Or they will charge Norton even MORE to offer their software!

Comment

What's the betting it will become more difficult to uninstall and completely remove the paid-for AV's from Vista.

Comment

Maybe Microsoft are worried that Joe Public will switch to *nix-based OSes because they don't 'need' anti-virus. Not to mention AV bogging down your system.

Microsoft have included file sharing, print servers, unzip utilities, firewalls and other stuff in Windows which have no doubt pissed off ISVs. Anti-virus is just another logical step.
                    Cats are evil.

Comment

Working...
                    X