• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

mac OSX file copy size limit?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mac OSX file copy size limit?

I tried copying a 4Gb file on my Macbook (OSX 10.5). It fails: do it in a terminal window with cp and it explains "File too large".

What's the problem? Is there a way round it? I have a workaround/more sensible plan, but I'm curious.

Is the volume somehow formatted as FAT32? This cannot handle >4GB for a single file.

Comment

^ WHS - my own partition is HFS and I regularly transfer a 15 Gig DMG as a backup.
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Durbs View Post
        Is the volume somehow formatted as FAT32? This cannot handle >4GB for a single file.
        Er, that would be it. Doh!

(a) it's supposed to be exactly 4Gb not > 4Gb,
        (b) I thought I had tried it to another disk, but obvously I only thought that, didn't do it.

Thanks.

Comment

Working...
        X