• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Fiddler"-like HTTP proxy for linux

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Fiddler"-like HTTP proxy for linux

There's an extremely useful tool for Windows called Fiddler - it sits between IE/Firefox and your internet connection, and logs full details of all the HTTP requests and responses as they're made. Crucially (and unlike Firebug), the list doesn't get cleared when you navigate to a different web page.

Does anybody know of a similar tool for Linux, preferable X-based and not requiring a ton of documentation reading and configuration?

Cheers.

Charles - silly name, but it's actually more feature-rich than Fiddler (unless you're in the habit of using Fiddler's JScript.NET extensibility API).

The unregistered version will only run for 30 minutes at a time, and puts up nag screens for a few seconds occasionally (in response to user activity, not when you're doing something else) but frankly it's one of the best $50 you'll ever spend if you devote much of your time to digging through HTTP traffic.

If you only need basic functionality then Firefox's Firebug extension has a "Net" panel which is pretty useful, but has the downside that, being inside the browser, it conceals anything that may have happened from the point where the response entered the browser to the point where Firebug was able to examine it.

P.S. It's a Java app, BTW, so I assume it can be made to work with X.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Charles - silly name, but it's actually more feature-rich than Fiddler...
      Thanks Nick - I imagined you'd come along with a reply eventually

Charles was the best option I'd found during my investigations as well - looks like it might be time to cough up the registration if you're thinking along the same lines.

I'm pretty amazed that a search through the Ubuntu repos didn't come up with anything suitable although I guess I could cobble something together from existing tools with a couple of days effort.

Comment

Working...
      X