• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

identifying a secret installation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

identifying a secret installation

These places have all appeared on the maps since 2006 as the government gave up trying to keep them off the OS maps as they could easily be seen on Google Maps etc.

I passed a place today that I reckon is one, and it isn't listed on the secret bases website. It has security fencing, a full size turnstile and vehicle security gates - there's a small car park outside and no signs indicating what it is. The buildings look very similar to DERA/MOD sites I've seen in the past. The Google Earth view shows a couple of largish buildings and some earthworks that look like bunkers/fuel ammo dumps (but I'm not an expert) - but it is a very small site.

Does anyone here post on the Google Earth forums? What's the form?

There are many fuel storage depots and pumping stations throughout the entire UK linking the oil pipeline that runs all over the country - it could be one of those. Some are run by the Oil and Pipelines Agency, others are actually MOD fuel storage.

There is some mediocre secrecy about the location of these sites, which is completely ridiculous since the pipeline itself is visibly marked on the ground with 3mtr posts that have an orange metal hat on top, so the route can be tracked from the air for maintenance purposes.
    Moving to Montana soon, gonna be a dental floss tycoon

Comment

You should take a drive through Glen Douglas sometime, I did for an alternative drive down from Oban - crumbs the looks I got...
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by TheRefactornator View Post
        There are many fuel storage depots and pumping stations throughout the entire UK linking the oil pipeline that runs all over the country - it could be one of those. Some are run by the Oil and Pipelines Agency, others are actually MOD fuel storage.

There is some mediocre secrecy about the location of these sites, which is completely ridiculous since the pipeline itself is visibly marked on the ground with 3mtr posts that have an orange metal hat on top, so the route can be tracked from the air for maintenance purposes.
        Good point - there was one (of those oil storage sites - part of the network)near where I used to live - I looked that one up on the secret bases site as it wasn't on the map at the time. This one isn't really like that but it may well be of course.

Comment

Some that I've worked at in the past had the traditional above ground fuel storage tanks but most of the MOD ones have ground level semi-buried tanks. The existing GPSS pipeline and storage facility network was built pre-WW2 so it made sense back then to hide it but today's weapons would make it's destruction trivial, which doesn't really bare thinking about due to our oil dependence.

Comment

Not UK but I saw this on a youtube video but didn't think it was real until I checked it out just now.
            Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
              Not UK but I saw this on a youtube video but didn't think it was real until I checked it out just now.
              If it's what I think it is, it looks like some serious hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                You should take a drive through Glen Douglas sometime, I did for an alternative drive down from Oban - crumbs the looks I got...
                Yep the route through Glen Douglas is very pretty until you notice thae things buried into the hills. Equally the road down to Coulport - the first time I drove it I must admit my first thought was "my, this is a lovely smooth road" before I realised why!

Comment

Maybe I should have made it a little more obvious: American Nazi HQ!!
                  Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                    Maybe I should have made it a little more obvious: American Nazi HQ!!
                    Or Jainism temple...
                    Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Working...
                    X