• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

identifying a secret installation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheRefactornator View Post
    If it's what I think it is, it looks like some serious hardware.
    Lost me on that one. Looks like a marina to me.
    How did this happen? Who's to blame? Well certainly there are those more responsible than others, and they will be held accountable, but again truth be told, if you're looking for the guilty, you need only look into a mirror.

Follow me on Twitter - LinkedIn Profile - The HAB blog - New Blog: Mad Cameron
    Xeno points: +5 - Asperger rating: 36 - Paranoid Schizophrenic rating: 44%

"We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to high office" - Aesop

Comment

Originally posted by HairyArsedBloke View Post
      Lost me on that one. Looks like a marina to me.
      Oh come on, if I were to commission a naval HQ and the architect came back with a building shaped like swastika I would send him away again.

I understand this shape of building is common in Africa where heat dissipation and shade are a consideration but I think they have air con in San Diego.

...the Navy says it noticed the shape but that it didn't think anyone would see it from above...

Linky
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

For some reason Treviso Airport gets wacked out on MS Virtual Earth, but not others:

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=45.65....8&r=0&src=msa

Comment

Originally posted by NoddY View Post
          For some reason Treviso Airport gets wacked out on MS Virtual Earth, but not others:

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=45.65....8&r=0&src=msa
          I read an explantion for those missing bits that it's just a technical issue - nothing sinister. Apparently on earlier Google earth, the Sultan of Brunei's place in Northolt was missing, but it appeared again in a 2006 update.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            You should take a drive through Glen Douglas sometime, I did for an alternative drive down from Oban - crumbs the looks I got...
            I can imagine!

I did some work in my other career in that neck o' the woods!

The whole hillside is an ammo dump, conventional and nukes!

Btw, I swam across Loch Long. Numerous times!
            Last edited by Churchill; 6 May 2009, 21:10.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              I can imagine!

Did you do much Diving and Canoeing?
              "I hope Celtic realise that, if their team is good enough, they will win. If they're not good enough, they'll not win - and they can't look at anybody else, whether it is referees or any other influence." - Walter Smith

On them! On them! They fail!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                I can imagine!

You and I both

Did you dive at the A-frames and Conger Alley up at Arrochar as well?

My deepest dive was at a site on Loch Long where I was diving down a cliff at night and, thinking I was at around 30m looked at my depth gauge and realised was at 58m

Comment

its a buddhist symbol

Comment

Originally posted by mrdonuts View Post
                    its a buddhist symbol
                    That's like saying Gary Glitter is a musician.

I assume you're talking about the swastika building?
                    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                      Not UK but I saw this on a youtube video but didn't think it was real until I checked it out just now.
                      From the air it looks like a surprise attack on that Coronado bridge would trap every ship inside the bay, although presumably not all the US Navy's Pacific Fleet are ever there at the same time, and destroying the entire bridge would be easier said than done.

Also it depends on the water depth. But in WW1 Admiral Lord Fisher wouldn't allow the Grand Fleet to anchor in the Firth of Forth for the same reason - in his words, that "beastly bridge".
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X