• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sky satellite signal

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    That works OK? wow.

Doesn't the signal fall when it rains? Do you need a larger dish?

Maybe I will buy a dish then. Always avoided buying one as it would ruin the look of the outside.
    Nope, everything standard, sky engineer wouldn't do it, so we had the dish outside for a while, then got another engineer to move it. There's no problems at all, even when it rains the pic is fine.

HTH
    Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      Looking through the tiles?

Or slates?

Or a velox window?
      It sits there looking through roof tiles, big thick old b*ggers as well!

I was surpised it worked TBH, another tick from the missus as well!
      Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

I found I needed a signal strength meter, the Sky box is awful, but the meter was OK if a bit fiddly. I installed several in, er, locations where a Sky engineer was not available....

Provided the LNB is working etc, all that matters is the line of sight. In one house, I checked out good locations for the dish by waiting for a time when the sun was behind the satellite (google is your friend) and looking for a nice sunny spot in the garden.
        Last edited by expat; 28 April 2009, 10:12.

Comment

Spiders up the feedhorn.

It's a killer.
          Extremely painful as well. No doubt
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Spiders up the feedhorn.

It's a killer.
            It depends what you're sending down the waveguide!

(Never, ever, EVER look down a waveguide!)

Comment

What is really striking about the signal levels for Sky at 29E, is how low they are... the stuff at 19E comes storming in, 10dB higher at least.
              Well, it is nearer!

Comment

What is really striking about the signal levels for Sky at 29E, is how low they are...
                Maybe that's because Astra 2 is at 28.2E?

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                  That works OK? wow.

Doesn't the signal fall when it rains? Do you need a larger dish?

Maybe I will buy a dish then. Always avoided buying one as it would ruin the look of the outside.
                  I always thought the dish needed line of sight to the satellite!
                  How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Sky's signal is pathetically weak. Before they merged, the BSB signal was a lot stronger which is why the 'squarial' was smaller than sky's bin lid dish.

BSB's round dish was even smaller!

Sadly when BSB and sky merged, the more numerous sky subscribers and hence sky's system won out but it was the weaker of the two.
                    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Working...
                    X