• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Broadband over the power grid

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Broadband over the power grid

I had an interesting query from a former colleague in the US regarding broadband over the power grid i.e. someone can plug their computer into the wall socket and get broadband access.

I have never heard of this have any of you? Does the product work and is it used here in the UK? If so, what type of customer would be targeted?

TIA

I remember Nortel (under the guise of NorWeb) were looking into this in the UK in the late 90's, but it was canned.

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_l...line_.28BPL.29
    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
      I remember Nortel (under the guise of NorWeb) were looking into this in the UK in the late 90's, but it was canned.

More info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_l...line_.28BPL.29
      Correct, I also think Scottish Power monkeyed around with it for a while too. Seemed a good idea to make use of existing infrastructure in news ways to me though.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
        Correct, I also think Scottish Power monkeyed around with it for a while too. Seemed a good idea to make use of existing infrastructure in news ways to me though.
        Yes, that rings a bell now too. Definite potential, but I seem to recall that it was subject to interference from street lights and such.

Comment

I use a powerline solution as well as wireless at home these days. Is that what you're on about?

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/power-network.htm
          "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
          "See?"

Comment

Originally posted by NickNick View Post
            I use a powerline solution as well as wireless at home these days. Is that what you're on about?

http://computer.howstuffworks.com/power-network.htm
            I think (but could be wrong) that the OP was referring to the provision of network access to premises via the electrical distribution grid: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_l..._powerlines.29

Comment

It already exist for company use not public and not at broadband speeds.

There were too many technical challenges as I recall. Shame really
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                Seemed a good idea to make use of existing infrastructure in news ways to me though.
                Of course almost everywhere that has electricity also has a phone line, so perhaps it was always a little redundant.

Somebody did setup a communications network over The National Grid, but they did it with fibre optic cables strung along the earth wire at the top of the pylons. Which is a different thing entirely but still an innovative use of the existing infrastructure.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I may be wrong here, but didn't the Netherlands start "laying" fibre through their gas pipes?
                  "Israel, Palestine, Cats." He Said
                  "See?"

Comment

Originally posted by NickNick View Post
                    I may be wrong here, but didn't the Netherlands start "laying" fibre through their gas pipes?
                    Just reading around, it sounds like there are some interesting ideas regarding network provision through gas pipes.

Nethercomm is adapting ultra wideband radio transmitters and receivers to send wireless signals through the natural-gas pipe at the same time the pipe is delivering gas fuel. Ultra wideband, or UWB, is a developing communication technology that delivers very high-speed network data rates, but at higher power levels it can interfere with other wireless signals.

Comment

Working...
                    X