• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

EEE by gum

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EEE by gum

The toys are very soon going to come out of the pram.

Got an EEE 901 20GB and am trying to load XP. I have followed now two seperate walkthroughs to the fkn letter.

http://users.telenet.be/Robvdb/BootPEUSB_UK.htm

and

http://www.eeeguides.com/2007/11/ins...usb-thumb.html

The problem is the same each time.

The poxy heap of junk won't boot from the USB key.

I know this is possible.

Does anyone know of a walkthrough that actually works? If so could you post a link?

Thanks
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

You probably need to upgrade your BIOS

Have a look at these..

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=59002

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=58704

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?id=53088
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Set the eee BIOS to install mode and/or alter boot priority in the BIOS.

Did it myself ages ago and didn't have any problems booting from USB XP installation. Only thing i can remember is having to switch on 'Install Mode'

Comment

thanks chap(esse)s. Top work. Now posting from the EEE. I have defo been working too hard at the moment so sorry for rant. Most unlike me. Honest.

Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

The problem is that you are trying to install Windows :-)

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
            thanks chap(esse)s. Top work. Now posting from the EEE. I have defo been working too hard at the moment so sorry for rant. Most unlike me. Honest.

No apologies needed, Dear - we all go off on one occasionally..
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."

Comment

Try a better O/s for your 901.

I have put Easy Peasy on there and it's great.

www.geteasypeasy.com

Also upgrade your RAM to 2GB whatever O/S you use as it's only £20 to do so.

Comment

I guess you use Crucial? How easy is it to put it? (I never normally touch the innards of my PCs).

Sadly I have to have XP on mine as ClientCo's VPN doesn't like any other O/S than that...

Comment

I have used three times now Corsair Value 2GB memory, worked fine mate. Remember to turn off the BootBooster in the BIOS as this only works with the strange partition setup from Asus (basiclly a historic fast swap method to boot faster).

In the BIOS instead of selecting BOOT menu (which is set to HD as primary) I think there is a setting in the BIOS for which HD device to boot from after that and with the USB stick already plugged in, you can select this as the primary and then reboot.

This if I recall makes the BIOS boot from HD then HD is set to the USB stick and thus it boots straight off the stick.

Also I would advise using XPLite or Nlite and strip XP down. This is what the manufactures are doing to make XP run on netbooks better.

Finally the Asus 901 wireless card is tulip and never worked for me with Xandros. Luckerly Easy Peasy Ubuntu made it work. You may want to think about upgrading that as well once you get XP working. Intel do the best ones.

All this hardware can be found in places like Ebuyer or Ebay. Good luck and may the force be with you. And remember the Google Gods rule all.

Comment

Ta LazyFan.

Comment

Working...
                    X