• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Wireless AV in the house

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless AV in the house

I want to watch SKY in bed. Anyone use these wireless AV thingies to transmit from your SKY box to a bedroom TV? Any pitfalls/issues/comments?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Bought one. Bloody awful quality. Have Sky+/Sky HD in each room instead.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est!

Comment

Originally posted by Flubster View Post
      Bought one. Bloody awful quality. Have Sky+/Sky HD in each room instead.
      Which one did you buy? Is it a generic problem with the technology or to do with your particular brand/channel ?
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

I've tried three different brands and they're all awful. Can't transfer from downstairs to room above, although our house is Victorian so it is made with proper bricks - you might have a chance in a new build

Comment

IF you are never going to want to watch two different things in each room, just route a cable (either scart or hdmi) from the sky box to the tv in the other room and get an IR sender to just send the remote signals.

Or, if you want to cane your home network, look at a Slingbox Pro / Sling Catcher Combo.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

If you do get one, get a 5.8GHz one rather than the standard 2.4GHz, else you will get interference from wifi/house phone/microwave etc and its sh*t.

You can get 5.8Ghz ones from Maplin....

Comment

Wireless is a bit crap to be honest.

Sky boxes have 2x RF outputs, the second one can carry a voltage so you can plug an IR dongle on the other end and use a second remote.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Rem.../dp/B000M7AZNS

You need to switch on the RF power via system settings.
              Last edited by gingerjedi; 24 March 2009, 16:37.
              Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                I want to watch SKY in bed. Anyone use these wireless AV thingies to transmit from your SKY box to a bedroom TV? Any pitfalls/issues/comments?
                What about getting a Sling Box? Cost about £100 to £150.
                If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

SlingboxHD is the route I'm considering.... possibly using lan over powerline....already have a media centre in the bedroom or maybe I could use a slingcatcher??? Don't want to fork out for a second hd box cause sods law say the that I want to watch in bed is the thing I recorded last night downstairs.....

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                    Wireless is a bit crap to be honest.

Sky boxes have 2x RF outputs, the second one can carry a voltage so you can plug an IR dongle on the other end and use a second remote.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Original-Rem.../dp/B000M7AZNS

You need to switch on the RF power via system settings.
                    RF is what I use - tried the wireless route - too much other wireless stuff in my gaff. Not HD but telly in bedroom is nothing special.

Comment

Working...
                    X