• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IMAP Sent Folders

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You want to use multiple machines, each with its own mail client (which may well be Outlook in all cases). It is irrelevant whether you have one account or more than one.

You want to be able to read sent mail as well as received mail from any of your machines, even if the mail was sent from a different machine.

Mail is stored on the IMAP server and read from there. Mail is sent via SMTP. So the IMAP clients store read mails, and filed mails, in the appropriate folder on the IMAP server, but the problem is that sent mails are not stored in a folder on the IMAP server, because they are not sent from that server.

The solution is to have each IMAP client save sent mails to a "sent" folder on the IMAP server. This is a normal thing to do. Your problem is that Outlook is not doing it.

Excuse me for summarising the question, and not having an answer: but I thought it might help us keep to the point. I know that it works because it works for me on Opera Mail and Mac Mail.

Hopefully an Outlook user will be able to tell you how to make it work.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
      You want to use multiple machines, each with its own mail client (which may well be Outlook in all cases). It is irrelevant whether you have one account or more than one.

You want to be able to read sent mail as well as received mail from any of your machines, even if the mail was sent from a different machine.

Mail is stored on the IMAP server and read from there. Mail is sent via SMTP. So the IMAP clients store read mails, and filed mails, in the appropriate folder on the IMAP server, but the problem is that sent mails are not stored in a folder on the IMAP server, because they are not sent from that server.

The solution is to have each IMAP client save sent mails to a "sent" folder on the IMAP server. This is a normal thing to do. Your problem is that Outlook is not doing it.

Excuse me for summarising the question, and not having an answer: but I thought it might help us keep to the point. I know that it works because it works for me on Opera Mail and Mac Mail.

Hopefully an Outlook user will be able to tell you how to make it work.
      Exactly - Many thanks.

Outlook Express does this, but Outlook 2003 doesn't

Comment

Working...
      X