• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IMAP Sent Folders

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IMAP Sent Folders

I have several IMAP email accounts set up in Outlook 2003, when I send/reply to an email the sent mail does not go into my IMAP Sent folder, it goes into Outlooks own 'Personal' Sent Items folder.

In my email options I have 'Save copies of messages into Sent Items Folder' ticked, and the copy is saved there, but I also want it stored in the IMAP Sent folder, which it isn't.

Is there an Outlook/IMAP setting I need to change?

TIA

Originally posted by Badger View Post
    I have several IMAP email accounts set up in Outlook 2003, when I send/reply to an email the sent mail does not go into my IMAP Sent folder, it goes into Outlooks own 'Personal' Sent Items folder.

In my email options I have 'Save copies of messages into Sent Items Folder' ticked, and the copy is saved there, but I also want it stored in the IMAP Sent folder, which it isn't.

Is there an Outlook/IMAP setting I need to change?

TIA
    From what I understand, you cannot send emails via IMAP, only receive. Emails can only be sent via SMTP. As this is the case, your emails will be stored locally in your Sent Items folder. However, my knowledge of IMAP extends only to the scenario you have mentioned and my own webmail account.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

I had a similar problem, and used Outlook Rules to move the sent item from personal folders to my IMAP sent items folder. Hope that is of some use.
      SUFTUM

May life give you what you need, rather than what you want....

Comment

Thanks. I've looked at the Rules option, and it seems to work ok, but as I have multiple accounts it's getting messy to do Rules.

Thunderbird works exactly as I want but the complete lack of any decent signature option rules this out - very poor Mozilla.

I could just go back to Outlook Express!
        Last edited by Badger; 24 March 2009, 08:23.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
          From what I understand, you cannot send emails via IMAP, only receive. Emails can only be sent via SMTP. As this is the case, your emails will be stored locally in your Sent Items folder. However, my knowledge of IMAP extends only to the scenario you have mentioned and my own webmail account.
          Normally there is a parm on the IMAP client which specifies the dns or IP address of the SMTP server destination which then the mail item is relayed to for susbsequent processing.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
            you cannot send emails via IMAP, only receive. Emails can only be sent via SMTP
            He's quite right:

IMAP - Internet Message Access Protocol
            SMTP - Simple Mail Transfer Protocol.

So far as routing goes, it is generally "retrieved" using IMAP and then resent using SMTP. This is the way of things. What would be the purpose of saving "sent" e-mails to an IMAP folder anyway?

Originally posted by Netraider View Post
            used Outlook Rules to move the sent item
            This is a good idea (if it's really what you want to do).

Comment

Originally posted by BlightyBoy View Post
              ... What would be the purpose of saving "sent" e-mails to an IMAP folder anyway?
              So that I can check whats been sent whether I'm on my Desktop, Laptop, or iPhone.

Comment

So that I can check whats been sent whether I'm on my Desktop, Laptop, or iPhone.
                So with multiple e-mail accounts, and one client, you want to track which e-mails are sent on which account?

Am I being a bit dim? Is that even possible? During a "session" how can you reply to an e-mail received with one account with a different signature/return-address etc.? (More of a rhetorical question - no real answers required)

Comment

The best thing to do is to set up a webmail system and use your machines to connect to that so that you can check your multiple accounts and their sent items folder. I use Squirrelmail, and seems to do the job. However, this is assuming that you have webspace with the same provider and that you have access to php on that webspace.

EDIT: And preferably have access to MySQL.
                  If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Why not simply insert a reference code seomwhere in your message so that you know which device you have used eg .de .la .mo ?

Comment

Working...
                    X