• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Camera lens info wanted

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camera lens info wanted

Calling any photography gurus, or moderately well informed photographers ..

Referring to the page here on Canon lenses, and clicking the "Accessories" tab, which lens would be best for:

* general photography, say of people or scenes, in other words the kind of pictures one might take on holiday

* close up detailed photography, say of a document or open book page, to obtain a maximum resolution image.

Please assume I know absolutely nothing about photography and am too stupid and lazy to learn (except that I will be very grateful for any constructive replies to this and will avidly read them).

edit: Also, please assume that money is no object, or at least that I won't quibble over a couple of hundred if it means getting a better or more suitable lens.
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 13 March 2009, 23:16.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Referring to the page here on Canon lenses, and clicking the "Accessories" tab, which lens would be best for:

* general photography, say of people or scenes, in other words the kind of pictures one might take on holiday

* close up detailed photography, say of a document or open book page, to obtain a maximum resolution image.

Please assume I know absolutely nothing about photography and am too stupid and lazy to learn (except that I will be very grateful for any constructive replies to this and will avidly read them).

edit: Also, please assume that money is no object, or at least that I won't quibble over a couple of hundred if it means getting a better or more suitable lens.
    There's a camera shop near Goodge Street station in London. I can't remember the name of the shop off hand... but they do a lot of camera stuff.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

I reckon-

Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM II

and this

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L USM

should cover it nicely. HTH.

To be honest, if money was no object I'd love something like this though-

Camera.
      Last edited by Fred Bloggs; 14 March 2009, 08:23.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

This is one of Realityhack's areas of expertise.

If you are lucky he might pop by and answer your question. I can't

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
          I reckon-

Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM II

and this

Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L USM

should cover it nicely. HTH.

To be honest, if money was no object I'd love something like this though-

Camera.
          Wow, I'm dehydrated after drooling over that and reading reviews.

Someone pointed out that Canon would probably announce a 50+ megapixel camera within the next year or so, for the same target market of semi-professionals, to trump the Leica S2's 37 megapixels; but apparently Leica do the best optics (or "glass" in photographer's jargon).

(but $30,000 for the S2 is a bit over my head, unless the dollar takes a serious dive against sterling, which is unlikely while Borrown is around)
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Canon EF 100mm f2.8 Macro USM. You will need a copy stand as well.

Comment

You boys should really stop drooling over kit and try to refine your artistic sensibilities and technical knowledge instead. You can buy a £100K camera and your pictures will still be worse than someone who has an eye for a scene and a disposable.
              Last edited by sasguru; 16 March 2009, 14:39.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

I think for holiday / walkaround use the Canon 17 - 85mm f/4-5.6 IS is a good lens to look at.

If you want close up stuff obviously a macro lens is good; otherwise consider a 50mm Prime; they are absolutely amazing and have a very wide aperture to let lots of light in.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter Loew View Post
                  ...otherwise consider a 50mm Prime; they are absolutely amazing and have a very wide aperture to let lots of light in.
                  WHS - a very versatile lens also good for portraits and indoor shots in low light conditions, best partnered with a good tripod and a remote shutter release for stability.
                  Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

From that list:

Without a doubt the Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 USM II, it's small, light and a good multipurpose telephoto.

The Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM will do the job nicely. You'll appreciate a good tripod and/or copy stand, as has been mentioned.

Comment

Working...
                    X