• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Camera lens info wanted

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Off the list, however, are the following:

The excellent EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM for general use.
    The remarkable EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM as a second lens to compliment the above.
    And the only true macro lens in the series, the crisp EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM.

That would be my ideal EF shopping list.

Comment

However, that shopping list carries a £3,559.97 price tag (£2,369.95 from Amazon), and the ones on your list will total $783.32. But you get what you pay for...
      Last edited by realityhack; 17 March 2009, 11:21.

Comment

I don't know if, off the top of my head, the 5D is "full frame" or a 1.6x crop camera - if it's the latter, you might find the 28-105 a bit long at the short end for general purpose photography. As with all things, money is the question - the 28-105 is reasonable at the budget end of the market - i have one myself, but if you might consider the

17-85 f4/5.6IS USM for the wider selection

or if 28mm is wide enough, and money not quite so tight.

the 28-135 3.5/5.6 IS USM is probably a better choice than 28-105.

(I am aware they're not on the list supplied!)

I'd also buy the 50/1.8 - because it's stupidly good value.

If it was my budget, I'd aim to spend significantly more on the lenses than on the body.

Also, be aware that the more you spend on a lens, the heavier it tends to be - which you may find irritating for walking around.

For the second thing, you need a decent macro lens. But personally, I'd use a flatbed scanner.

* IS indicates image stabilization.

Comment

Wibble !
          I don't know my arse from an hole in the ground

Comment

Originally posted by EvilWeevil View Post
            I don't know if, off the top of my head, the 5D is "full frame" or a 1.6x crop camera - if it's the latter, you might find the 28-105 a bit long at the short end for general purpose photography.
            The 5D is full-frame. So indeed 28 is OK at the short end.

Isn't full frame a bit of overkill for the specified requirement?

* general photography, say of people or scenes, in other words the kind of pictures one might take on holiday

* close up detailed photography, say of a document or open book page, to obtain a maximum resolution image.
            Last edited by expat; 17 March 2009, 17:59.

Comment

Originally posted by expat View Post
              Isn't full frame a bit of overkill for the specified requirement?
              Yep. The 5D is a tad excessive for those needs. Quality choice though.

Comment

Working...
              X