• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Site has been hacked .....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Site has been hacked .....

I clicked on a link to web site which I visit occasionally, and instead of the usual screen I got a black one with some "site has been hacked" type message

Bad news for the site owner, but my question is whether I have put my PC at risk by the act of linking (doesn't appear to have done any harm as yet) as I may want to try again to access the site at a later date ?
    If you find this post offensive, please insert "Chan" before and "tho" after, then it should be OK.

Sometimes I almost feel just like a human being - Elvis Costello

Probably ok if all you got was the splash screen claiming the hack. As long as your AV is up to date and you didnt notice anything being downloaded or any unusual popups appearing when you visitred the site you should be fine.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
      Probably ok if all you got was the splash screen claiming the hack. As long as your AV is up to date and you didnt notice anything being downloaded or any unusual popups appearing when you visitred the site you should be fine.
      Thanks.
      If you find this post offensive, please insert "Chan" before and "tho" after, then it should be OK.

Sometimes I almost feel just like a human being - Elvis Costello

Comment

Most of the time in cases like this, the hacker is simply showing off by changing the sites home page and/or playing with their hacking skills, plus exposing a vulnerability on the website. They wont normally alter the site to include malicious code that will harm PC's that view the site.

Of course, there is always the excecptino to the rule

Comment

Working...
        X