• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it time for a domain?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
    I am eligible for Action Pack and have passed te "exam"..but when it came to getting the software I don't have a VAT number...and MS need it for some reason???? I asked how I could buy it and pay the UK VAT...MS said it couldn't be done...they need a VAT ID...otherwise I pay the German VAT..which I think is like 20%!

So it seems I'm stuck with OpenLDAP + SAMBA I fear....until SAMBA 4.0 ever gets out.
    Its 19%...

Is the extra 4% really that big of a deal ? Your talking about a difference of about £8 ?

Comment

OpenLDAP is not necessary, you can do Samba without it. You use the smbpasswd files. I would only use OpenLDAP if I wanted distributed auth servers.

Go with the current Samba version, using it's native files. It acts essentially like a NT4 Domain Controller.
      Politicians are wonderfull people, as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, like working for a living!

Comment

I suppose you could use a content management repository on a local web server.
        "take me to your leader"

Comment

Originally posted by Grinder View Post
          I suppose you could use a content management repository on a local web server.
          I think you mean Document Management?

That's coming..probably using Knowledge Tree. I have someone evaluating Sharepoint right now...though I think its really only useable in MOSS form..which costs $,$$$. People might be able to get by with WSS - though it is pretty barebones.

KT uses the LAMP framework so having OpenLDAP manage users would be a great help.

Hmmm...£8..doesn't sound soo bad. it would be good have some Office licences (oops!)
          McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
          Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

You are making a mountain out of a molehill with the free software route.

PM me and we can come to an arrangement

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
              You are making a mountain out of a molehill with the free software route.

PM me and we can come to an arrangement

Yes, we have gone off-track a bit. But that's IT for you!

I won't even get into the networking other bits coming down the line...
              McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
              Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
              X