• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PC upgrade

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was forced to re-install everything once, and found it a giant pain as I have many applications (30+) installed. Luckily I tend to save installer programs when I download them. And I take regular backups. So each app had to be re-installed, with its own licence key. For some apps I'd lost installers and/or keys and getting them back for 2-3 year old apps is troublesome.

Reason for my re-install? A registry cleaning product (designed to make my machine run faster) trashed the registry!

I'd be shy of doing this again unless I was buying a new (faster) PC.

P.S. I think you'll find that adding 2Gb of RAM will make a big difference to your machine's performance

Comment

sitrep

I ordered, recived and installed 1Gb Ram on Friday. The difference in system performance is amazing (and that is not over-egging it).

* Start-up is quicker
      * Apps launch quicker
      * The PC is not reading from the hard drive all the time(as it seemed to be before)
      * Even shutdown is quicker.

With the 512mb installed previously, the memory must have been completely stretched - on-board graphics and then with Office 2007 on top. I know that 1Gb is not a lot, but then again this is only XP on this desktop.

I do have a supplementary question though:
      I previously installed PC2100 Ram @ 256mb so the machine had 512mb. The memory I installed was PC2100 DDR, as this is what I was told was needed. When I removed the Ram on Friday I relised that the other Ram stick in there from new was PC3200. The new memory, as above, is Pc2100 also.
      Have I created a problem for myself here? Would the 3200 be faster than 2100?
      Cheers.

Comment

Working...
      X