• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

In C++ what type of header file changes would not cause either a linkage or run time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
    Me understand programming plenty good!!!

How did you get that from what he said. Need error outputs.

Of course if you change the function PROTOTYPE, the IMPLEMENTATION needs to change. FFS. Nothing to see here.

Proper programming indeed. Are you always this quick off the mark?

No he works in a bank. And its types like that which makes banks so s**t and lose loads of money.....

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
      No he works in a bank. And its types like that which makes banks so s**t and lose loads of money.....
      Ooh cool. I have seen those threads where people look in and post things like

<popcorn in the microwave, six pack in the fridge>

but never thought I would be "involved" in one.

My life gets a little bit richer.

BrilloPad - "types like that", love the passive aggressive language. Made I larf.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

How did you get that from what he said. Need error outputs.
        Because I'm a professional and know what I'm doing?

Of course if you change the function PROTOTYPE, the IMPLEMENTATION needs to change.
        Actually he's changing the IMPLEMENTATION and PROTOTYPE (see I can use caps too), but asking what he can get away with in terms of not also changing the caller to match.

And no I don't work in a bank, and yes I am underpaid.

To be fair, this isn't proper programming, or programming at all. It's arsing about with often deficient tools and third party libraries that leads to having to know this sort of stuff.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          Because I'm a professional and know what I'm doing?

Actually he's changing the IMPLEMENTATION and PROTOTYPE (see I can use caps too), but asking what he can get away with in terms of not also changing the caller to match.

And no I don't work in a bank, and yes I am underpaid.

To be fair, this isn't proper programming, or programming at all. It's arsing about with often deficient tools and third party libraries that leads to having to know this sort of stuff.
          No way you could have got that from the OP. Bored now.
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Well thats another two minutes of my life I'll never get back. I'm off to do something much more interesting like paint a new sleeper for my z-gauge railway zzzZZZZ.

Comment

Ooh cool. I have seen those threads where people look in and post things like

<popcorn in the microwave, six pack in the fridge>

but never thought I would be "involved" in one.

My life gets a little bit richer.

BrilloPad - "types like that", love the passive aggressive language. Made I larf.
              I am pleased to have helped you along the way to true cuk enlightenment

BTW did I tell you about the really clever c++ coder who came from a pharacutical to the bank I worked at(TMI)? He thought that, because he was paid mnore he would get more complex coding to do and would be pushed more intellectually!!!

The only push he got was from an aggressive trader who asked why his delta was wrong and the coder had to explain to the trader that he was a numpty......

Comment

Testing someone has real deep knowledge of particular skills isn't bad. Sometimes you want a real, full-on expert who knows the language/technologies inside out, rather than someone who has picked up enough to get by.

That said, there are many dumb interview questions out there; this may be one of them. Although, knowing how DLLs and linkers work isn't that esoteric, anyone who learned programming before the days of fancy IDEs should know this kind of subject and maybe that's the kind of person they want - a grizzled veteran
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  Some of us can remember how overlay linkers work too... not something that's come in handy over the last 15 years though...

Bring back "Turbo Pascal" and "Turbo C"!!!

Btw, whatever happened to Philipe Kahn?

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                    Some of us can remember how overlay linkers work too... not something that's come in handy over the last 15 years though...
                    God yes: I remember having to decide which modules were dependent so that you always had the bits you needed loaded....

where's that dinosaur smiley?

Comment

Working...
                    X