• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Unhandled Exception errors and timeouts on application HELP!!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unhandled Exception errors and timeouts on application HELP!!

When you get the above error types will increasing the resources on the database server help step them happening?

cheers

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    When you get the above error types will increasing the resources on the database server help step them happening?

cheers
    Thats a bit of a generic question without knowing all the underlying technology etc used in this particular case?

or were you in the wrong windown intending to IM someone else?
    This default font is sooooooooooooo boring and so are short usernames

Comment

Can you give some more details of the error?
      Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
        Can you give some more details of the error?
        Is your crystal ball not working? Mines on the blink too.

Comment

Originally posted by jkoder View Post
          Is your crystal ball not working? Mines on the blink too.
          Aye, I keep getting grief from the missus about it - must get it repaired.
          Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post

cheers
            Debugging? have you tried debugging!?
            McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
            Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Timeouts? Sql Server /.NET? Are you not explicitly disposing/closing your connections?

Comment

If I were you I'd have another look at that cartesian join on line 23.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaws View Post
                  Timeouts? Sql Server /.NET?
                  Or it could be Java Servlets and Oracle.

Or PHP and MySQL.

Or classic ASP and Access.

Or Perl CGI and SQLite.

Etcetera...

Comment

apologies I will try and give you some more details - but thanks for the response so far

It is a terminal sevices application running in a .net/sql environment.

The actual application is written in vb.net there are two application servers - one is a standalone server and the other although one is a load balanced cluster of 4 servers (I think the cluster may be a set of virtual servers) We have about 400 people accessing the application at any 1 time.

The SQL server is a virtual server.

However this is a long established application that has been running for about 3 years with no issues - it is only in the last 2 weeks that we have suddenly found these errors - they have gone from being a bit of a niusance to a major issue.

The developers admit their current code is out of date and does need updating (it was written a long time ago and was one of the first applications the developer wrote so it is not very efficeient in the way it polls the database).

The main concensus of opinion however is that an increase in the resources on the SQL server would alleviate the problems - however I seem to be stuck with the server team laying all the blame at the feet of the developers and their code.

This may be the case however this application is due to be rolled out to a further 600+ people over the next 10-12 weeks and regardless of what we do to the code if the servers cannot cope with this main concurrent connections we will still have problems.

Hope this gives further information which may be of use.

Comment

Working...
                    X