• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Buying a Domain name......

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a Domain name......

Is it possible to buy a domain name anymore? All i can find on a web search is the option to lease one for a peiod of time, therefore, i dont own it. If i can buy one, can someone post a link to where i can do this??

Thanks

You could never buy them afaik. It was always a lease for a period of time.
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman_1 View Post
      Is it possible to buy a domain name anymore? All i can find on a web search is the option to lease one for a peiod of time, therefore, i dont own it. If i can buy one, can someone post a link to where i can do this??

Thanks
      You never could just buy it with a once-only payment. You register the domain name, meaning it is recorded in the registry, by a registrar. E.g. for a .co.uk the registry is Nominet, the registrar is whoever you pay to do that for you (can't do it yourself as not a listed registrar with Nominet, could be e.g. Demon or Easily or any number of firms; could use Nominet as the registrar directly but that is made expensive in order to deter it).

So the domain name only exists because it is in the registry; the registry charges an annual fee to the registrar for maintaining it, and the registrar charges you an annual fee.

It does need maintaining, because it has to be findable by DNS. So you can't just buy it once, put it away, and forget about it.

Comment

I register through :

http://www.1and1.co.uk

and get them to do the forwarding for £2.99 per year.

Comment

Ok. thanks.

Comment

Working...
          X