• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Vista Command Line Help

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vista Command Line Help

Ok chaps, please will one of you help me with this?

Code:
    start attrib *.jpg > c:\imagelist.txt /s
    Why when the command line window is opened is the data displayed in the window and not redirected to the relevant file?

What do I have to do to fix this?

Churchill - In "Can't be arsed googling" mode!

Should work if you lose the 'start' at the beginning of the command line - do you need to run the command in a seperate window?
    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post

Code:
      Why when the command line window is opened is the data displayed in the window and not redirected to the relevant file?

if you are in command line, you don't need the start command. also, put the /s before the > sign and see if that works.
      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Code:

If you want the separate window, just replace "start" with "cmd /c".

cmd /c attrib *.jpg > C:\imagelist.txt /s

I've just done that on XP (no Vista here) and it works whereas the start version did the same as yours.

Comment

I was using the "start" command to open a window for each of the tasks that I wish to run.

Thanks for the feedback all.

Chugnut, "cmd /c" doesn't start a new window on VISTA it just starts the CMD interpreter in the same window.

Code:
          C:\Windows\system32>cmd /?
          Starts a new instance of the Windows command interpreter

CMD [/A | /U] [/Q] [/D] [/E:ON | /E:OFF] [/F:ON | /F:OFF] [/V:ON | /V:OFF]
              [[/S] [/C | /K] string]

/C      Carries out the command specified by string and then terminates
          /K      Carries out the command specified by string but remains
          /S      Modifies the treatment of string after /C or /K (see below)
          /Q      Turns echo off
          /D      Disable execution of AutoRun commands from registry (see below)
          /A      Causes the output of internal commands to a pipe or file to be ANSI
          /U      Causes the output of internal commands to a pipe or file to be
                  Unicode
          /T:fg   Sets the foreground/background colors (see COLOR /? for more info)
          /E:ON   Enable command extensions (see below)
          /E:OFF  Disable command extensions (see below)
          /F:ON   Enable file and directory name completion characters (see below)
          /F:OFF  Disable file and directory name completion characters (see below)
          /V:ON   Enable delayed environment variable expansion using ! as the
                  delimiter. For example, /V:ON would allow !var! to expand the
                  variable var at execution time.  The var syntax expands variables
                  at input time, which is quite a different thing when inside of a FOR
                  loop.

Comment

I find it easier to knock up stuff I used to do in the command file in Excel VBA. Bulk renaming of files, file searches, auto backup based on date, searching in text files etc, all much easier than cmd and can put results on sheet if you need to.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

I was using the "start" command to open a window for each of the tasks that I wish to run.

Thanks for the feedback all.

Chugnut, "cmd /c" doesn't start a new window on VISTA it just starts the CMD interpreter in the same window.

<snip>
              You're quite right, sorry about that.

You could alway put the "attrib *.jpg > C:\imagelist.txt /s" in c:\temp\churchill.cmd for example, and then "start c:\temp\churchill.cmd". This seems to do the job but it's not very talented, I'll grant you. Chances are you would only need to do this for commands which require redirection to a file though.

There's bound to be a more graceful way to do it however.

Comment

Code:

try:
                Code:
                start "attrib *.jpg > c:\imagelist.txt /s"

Comment

Originally posted by Ardesco View Post
                  try:
                  Code:
                  start "attrib *.jpg > c:\imagelist.txt /s"
                  It doesn't work, already tried that. It just creates a window with the title "attrib *.jpg > c:\imagelist.txt /s"

You should've tried it before you posted the

Comment

OK my second attempt is just start an asynchronous task using the same window:

Code:
                    start /b attrib *.jpg > c:\imagelist.txt /s
                    Won't open it in a new window, but should allow you to set off a series of commands at the same time that dump the result to a text file.

Good enough?

Comment

Working...
                    X