• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Laser printer toner cartridge replacement or refill?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laser printer toner cartridge replacement or refill?

A replacement cartridge for my B&W laser printer is coming in at more than the actual printer!

Thinking of getting one of those toner refill kits.

Anyone any experience of these? Is it messy? Is the toner of good quality?

Not sure I can be arsed with this refill malarky if it is a pain.
    Last edited by Clippy; 24 January 2009, 18:42.

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
    A replacement cartridge for my B&W laser printer is coming in at more than the actual printer!

Thinking of getting one of those toner refill kits.

Anyone any experience of these? Is it messy? Is the toner of good quality?

Not sure I can be arsed with this refill malarky if it is a pain.
    If possible, don't go for refils. If it screws up your printer, you will end up buying a new one.
    If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Try Choice stationery Supplies for a clone toner cartridge. I've been using them for years, they are a pretty good company with good prices.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Hahaha! Load of tulip! Never ceases to amaze me the fools who fall for this diy refill approach. They usually get you to melt a big hole in the cartridge then cover it with sticky tape or the like.

Like all laser cartridges that can be refilled, they must first be emptied and thoroughly cleaned out professionally before being refilled.

What he doesnt tell you is you arent actually using the 'refill' toner when you use these top ups. All you are doing is pushing the remaining original toner onto the internal mag roller and OPC drum.

This gives the impression the refill is wonderful but as I said, you're not using the refill toner at all. When what's left of the original toner is used, the print quality will rapidly deteriorate, if the cartridge lasts that long.

Buy a quality compatible or an original. Oh and btw, the cartridge that's shipped with the printer is a starter cartridge that's good for about 1000 pages. Your replacement cartridge will last for upto 3000 pages so dont fall for the 'cartridge costs more than the printer' hype!
        I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Yup your printer was subsidized in cost by the manufacturer, now they are pulling back some of the loss they made selling you it cheap by putting the price on the consumable element. Do you really think they can build a very technical piece of machinery like a laser printer for under £50, ship it (being heavy) and actually make a profit on this alone? No.

I've used a refill kit in the past on my 'starter cartridge' and it was a waste of money, crap quality.

Bought a proper replacement from amazon and never looked back! That's just the price you have to pay if you want good quality prints I'm afraid!
          The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Comment

If Black and white is Ok with you then buy a second-hand HP printer online for about £50-£150 depending on if you want double sided or not and then the cartridges will cost about £50 each but last for years - well they do me anyway and I print quite a number of double sided 100 page documents. They also take weeks to run out giving you plenty of time to buy another one.

Comment

Take the cartridge out, give it a bl@@dy good shake.
              Should give you another month.
              RS

Comment

My HP2600n was about £160 new, the toners (x4) are £33 each from Choice, it's a very good, very economical way to print across the network at home. HTH.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by RSoles View Post
                  Take the cartridge out, give it a bl@@dy good shake.
                  Should give you another month.
                  RS
                  This can work, but don't shake them over your nice cream/beige living room carpet please!

Laser toner is the most horrible substance in the universe except for thallium.

Don't shake those suckers around indoors unless you want toner particles to invade and smudge your life forever.

Best not be a cheapskate and buy a new toner cartridge. Some suppliers give you a freepost box to send the old one for recycling.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Working...
                  X