• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I See This A Lot Now.....

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I See This A Lot Now.....

Unpopulated dropdown lists on websites.

Normally happens when I'm buying something online e.g. airline tickets - you spend ages filling in all the forms then you get to the last page and have to select some mandatory value from a combo box and there ain't anything in it!

Sometimes closing the browser and starting again fixes it but not always. I see this on my PC at work and both my home PCs from time to time and I get it with IE as well as Firefox. Sure this never used to happen much in the past, just wondering if some new technology was at fault e.g. .net or ajax (not much of a front end developer myself). Drives me nuts though!

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
    Unpopulated dropdown lists on websites.

Normally happens when I'm buying something online e.g. airline tickets - you spend ages filling in all the forms then you get to the last page and have to select some mandatory value from a combo box and there ain't anything in it!

Sometimes closing the browser and starting again fixes it but not always. I see this on my PC at work and both my home PCs from time to time and I get it with IE as well as Firefox. Sure this never used to happen much in the past, just wondering if some new technology was at fault e.g. .net or ajax (not much of a front end developer myself). Drives me nuts though!
    Never seen that. What about if you do 'view source' - are there any <option> tags in the <select>?

If not it looks like a server-side issue.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
      Never seen that. What about if you do 'view source' - are there any <option> tags in the <select>?

If not it looks like a server-side issue.
      Can't replicate the problem now, typical! I'll check that next time though.

Comment

Originally posted by wurzel View Post
        Sure this never used to happen much in the past, just wondering if some new technology was at fault e.g. .net or ajax (not much of a front end developer myself). Drives me nuts though!
        Ajax probably. It goes off to the server and gets options dependent on what you selected in previous parts of the form, and if that call fails, or if there are no relevant options returned, then a bad interface will leave you in this state of frustration.

Still, it's nice when it works.

Comment

Originally posted by dang65 View Post
          Ajax probably. It goes off to the server and gets options dependent on what you selected in previous parts of the form, and if that call fails, or if there are no relevant options returned, then a bad interface will leave you in this state of frustration.

Still, it's nice when it works.
          implementation

The problem is that so many front-end coders (and indeed quite a few back-end ones) don't understand distributed applications. They never have an HTTP failure running on localhost, so they stick their code into the world without any HTTP error handling.

The first of the Eight Fallacies of Distributed Computing is "The network is reliable." Being victims of this fallacy, many of them don't even bother checking for an HTTP status code of 200 OK. Throw them a 500 Internal Server Error, and they'll attempt to stuff the error message into the <select>, which of course fails miserably.

And don't get me started on sites that return a page that says 404 Not Found but with an HTTP status of 200 OK

Comment

Working...
          X