• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Win XP

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Win XP

Went to install XP last night and found my CD has a large crack in it. Does anybody know how to get hold of a copy of it on the cheap? I'm an action pack subscriber but I've asked microsoft but they won't replace the CD as it no longer forms part of the action pack. I still have the 10 license keys but no media to install it from.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    Went to install XP last night and found my CD has a large crack in it. Does anybody know how to get hold of a copy of it on the cheap? I'm an action pack subscriber but I've asked microsoft but they won't replace the CD as it no longer forms part of the action pack. I still have the 10 license keys but no media to install it from.
    Have a look on E-Bay. Lots of people selling OEM copies for not a lot.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

The young asian bloke at your corner shop probably has a few cracked CD for sale.
      McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
      Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

If I install a knocked off copy, when it fails the windows genuine OS thing does it allow you to enter a key that is genuine? As I said I have 10 license keys but just not the media to install it from.
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

If I install a knocked off copy, when it fails the windows genuine OS thing does it allow you to enter a key that is genuine? As I said I have 10 license keys but just not the media to install it from.
          AFAIK It doesnt care what media you used, as long as the licence key is kosher.

Comment

Some versions of the software won't work with the licence key - I had an early licence for XP, but only had media for XP SP2. The new media wouldn't let me use the old licence key.

There is a tool that you can download from MS that will allow you to enter ANY valid XP key, though, and it will swap it over for you.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I have exactly the opposite problem. I have a genuine disk but I've max-out my licence number. I didn't know you could only install it x amount of times before MicroS**t block the licence.

Comment

Originally posted by Scotchpie View Post
                I have exactly the opposite problem. I have a genuine disk but I've max-out my licence number. I didn't know you could only install it x amount of times before MicroS**t block the licence.
                There should be a phine number displayed that you can ring to get them to release the licence as long as you tell them you are "removing it from one box and reinistalling on another."

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                  There should be a phine number displayed that you can ring to get them to release the licence as long as you tell them you are "removing it from one box and reinistalling on another."
                  It does give you a number to ring - I've done that before.

I'll give it a whirl over the weekend.

Cheers for the responses

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                    Your right - activate over the phone is an option. The problem with me is I like playing with virtual machines on a linux host and I'm always installing/uninstalling some OS or another.

Comment

Working...
                    X