• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Vista 32bit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    Swap it out to where? And if you did swap it outside of the 4GB address space, the screen would go blank?

Get over it. What 1/2 gig lost anyways?
    You're not familiar with the concept of "Bank Switching" then, eh?

Don't you worry your pretty little head about it.

Churchill - In "What do they teach kids these days" mode?
    Last edited by Churchill; 9 January 2009, 14:51.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      WHS. I was going to link to Raymond Chen's post, but Jeff links to it in that article, so no need
      I did think about linking to Raymond Chen's article directly, Jeff has better pictures though

There's another good post on this over on Mark Russinovich's blog.
      Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

What I've never understood is this:

Each process has its own 4GB address space that's mapped onto real memory/swap file by the OS. So in theory a 32-bit OS could support a lot more than 4GB, but limiting each individual process to a maximum of 4GB, as long as the processor supported it (which I believe modern ones do with PAE) and the OS had enough bits in its mapping algorithm.

So why don't we have that?
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
          What I've never understood is this:

Each process has its own 4GB address space that's mapped onto real memory/swap file by the OS. So in theory a 32-bit OS could support a lot more than 4GB, but limiting each individual process to a maximum of 4GB, as long as the processor supported it (which I believe modern ones do with PAE) and the OS had enough bits in its mapping algorithm.

So why don't we have that?
          Absolutely!

What about Windows 7, does that offer better support?

Also VMWare...?

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            You're not familiar with the concept of "Bank Switching" then, eh?

Don't you worry your pretty little head about it.

Churchill - In "What do they teach kids these days" mode?
            Of course I am, which is why I referred to limitations of hardware architecture as well as the processor's addressing capabilities. The PC architecture doesn't support bank switching - at least not in any way that would allow you to have access to 4GB of RAM.

EDIT: Oops, just realised you were responding to _V_ - still, we were both making the same point, so I might as well let this one stand
            Last edited by NickFitz; 9 January 2009, 15:30. Reason: I'm stoopid

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              Absolutely!

What about Windows 7, does that offer better support?

Also VMWare...?
              What about upgrading to 64-bit Vista? Apparently that makes full use of 4gb main memory..
              "My God, it's huge!!"

Comment

Originally posted by Swamp Thing View Post
                What about upgrading to 64-bit Vista? Apparently that makes full use of 4gb main memory..
                *cough*
                (Centrino Duo - so Vista 64bit is out!)

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                  Have you got EMM386 loaded in your config.sys?
                  Jesus, that statement just scared the knackers out of me!
                  Who has time? Who has time? But then if we do not ever take time, how can we ever have time?

Comment

Working...
                  X