• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dual booting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can confirm that Ubuntu and OpenSuse install "out of the box" with grub boot loader. However, I have not yet found a way to go back to a single Windows OS (removing Grub and Linux) afterwards without reformatting and reinstalling Windows. Using a bootable USB device to test it out seems like a good idea to me.
    Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
    Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
      I can confirm that Ubuntu and OpenSuse install "out of the box" with grub boot loader. However, I have not yet found a way to go back to a single Windows OS (removing Grub and Linux) afterwards without reformatting and reinstalling Windows. Using a bootable USB device to test it out seems like a good idea to me.
      IIRC, you have to be a little bit careful with an USB drive.

If you don't put the boot loader on the hard drive (i.e. put everything on the USB drive), then you end up with a machine that can only boot when the external drive is plugged in!!

Sadly, I speak from experience
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

If you don't put the boot loader on the hard drive (i.e. put everything on the USB drive), then you end up with a machine that can only boot when the external drive is plugged in!!

Wow, that's a pitfall worth avoiding!
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post

There must be a way of fixing that without reinstalling the OS?
          If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Originally posted by pmeswani View Post
            There must be a way of fixing that without reinstalling the OS?
            I'm sure there is.

Since my installation of eBusiness Suite failed on the unsupported version of SUSE I was using, I gave up and installed it on Windows instead.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I _think_ you can boot from the XP CD and perform a repair on your Install. Select to go to the cmd line and type help for a list of commands. Something like fixmbr and fixboot should fix it.

I haven't tested this - just something I remember from my past

Comment

Working...
              X