• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Weirdness passing variable to PHP page

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weirdness passing variable to PHP page

Let's say I enter a URL into a browser like this:

Code:
    www.fred.com/mypage.php?thingy=cukker
    Then on mypage.php I want to display the value of "thingy" I do this
    PHP Code:
    <?
    echo $thingy;
    ?>
    This was working fine on Webserver A (test) but when I transferred the site to Webserver B (live) $thingy was displayed as a blank value, so I had to change the code to do this:
    PHP Code:
    <?
    echo $_GET["thingy"];
    ?>
    Any ideas why this might be so? Which is the "correct" method?

TIA

not a PHP expert but...

it looks like a config difference between the 2 web servers
    Thingy isn't defined as a variable, it's being passed in through the URL, webserver A can ignore that fact, webserver B demands a more explicit variable definition.

I'm sure Nick will be online later to answer properly (and recommend a Mac )
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Probably some stupid PHP setting, always use explicit _GET or something - first method was bad because variable was essentially not set.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
        Let's say I enter a URL into a browser like this:

Code:
        www.fred.com/mypage.php?thingy=cukker
        Then on mypage.php I want to display the value of "thingy" I do this
        PHP Code:
        <?
        echo $thingy;
        ?>
        This was working fine on Webserver A (test) but when I transferred the site to Webserver B (live) $thingy was displayed as a blank value, so I had to change the code to do this:
        PHP Code:
        <?
        echo $_GET["thingy"];
        ?>
        Any ideas why this might be so? Which is the "correct" method?

TIA
        The first server has the register_globals setting enabled, the second doesn't.

The second is the correct way; register_globals is a serious potential security hole, and its use has been deprecated since version 4.2.0.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

The second is the correct way; register_globals is a serious potential security hole, and its use has been deprecated since version 4.2.0.

the legend lives on......

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

Thanks, Nick. I was hoping you'd be along to give the definitive answer

Much appreciated

Comment

Much appreciated
              HTH

Comment

Much appreciated

Comment

You could probably get round it by running the following command at the top of the page:
                  Code:
                  extract($_GET);
                  However you really do not want to do this as from a security point of view it is absolute madness......

Comment

Working...
                  X