• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any killer Mac apps?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any killer Mac apps?

I've gone and bought a Mac Mini (after years of dissing my Mac owning mates and their t@rt boxes) and its arrived this morning.

Not opened the thing yet, so given my knowledge of Mac OS is basically 0 (i've bought the thing cos i've got a good idea for an iPhone money spinner plan B app) are there any real killer apps i should be looking at getting?

Mainly do web/web app development so are there any real good bits of software (web design/layout/graphic design) that will help out as i'd like to use the thing beyond just the XCode app?

Done a bit of Googling but the app names i'm coming up with are unfamiliar to me so dont know what to avoid.

Ta

Apple Update is meant to be a killer app.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

The real killer app for me is Logic Studio. Mac only and kicks the arse of Pro-Tools for a fraction of the price.
          Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
            The real killer app for me is Logic Studio. Mac only and kicks the arse of Pro-Tools for a fraction of the price.
            It used to be available for Windows too - but was bought out by Apple. Poor show actually. Sales of Cubase increased somewhat - not every musician is a Mac-head.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman View Post
              It used to be available for Windows too - but was bought out by Apple. Poor show actually. Sales of Cubase increased somewhat - not every musician is a Mac-head.
              Cubase is nowhere near the quality of Logic. Cubase = Semi-pro/hobbyist. Logic/Pro-tools = Fully pro and found in pro studios.

Stopping the Windows version is the best thing they ever did. You can't have an effective DAW that supports too many platforms. You need to optimise down to specific hardware as much as possible. Pro-Tools gets round this limitation by requiring you to buy their external hardware to run it properly.

That's why multi-platform DAWs like Cubase end up being jacks of all trades but masters of none.
              Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
                Hmmm tunes. I used to be handy with a sequencer back in the day. Something i'd fancy getting back into if i had the time. Used to use Cubase and also a tracker called Fruityloops which i used from its early days and even created one of the demo tracks that was bundled with it. Quick Googling shows that one is still around.

May take a look at Logic then, Ta.

Comment

Working...
                X