• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Developing a map mashup application

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Developing a map mashup application

Any tips?
    Is Google Maps the best provider?

tl

Maybe for the web. If you need something offline, worth a look at MapInfo.

Not used it for about 7 years, but still get the odd poke from agencies with 'vacancies' requiring it, though I deleted it off my CV about two years ago!
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by thunderlizard View Post
      Any tips?
      Is Google Maps the best provider?

tl
      Either Google or Yahoo Maps are good - I tend to use Google, if only because I can see my car on the satellite imagery, whereas on Yahoo I can't even see my house. The API is very powerful, and it's regularly acquiring really useful new features. It also supports geocoding, directions, etc.

Also, if you just want a map to put on your website but don't need interaction beyond links, the Google Static Maps API is FTW.

Comment

Or you can use the OS OpenSpaces API if you want OS maps, although it does have its limitations.

Comment

Originally posted by basshead View Post
          Or you can use the OS OpenSpaces API if you want OS maps, although it does have its limitations.
          Including the limitation that you risk handing ownership of your data to the Ordnance Survey:
          5.4 In the event that You or any End‑user creates Derived Data, such Derived Data shall be owned by Us...

The OS are notorious for strictly enforcing this provision of their Ts & Cs.

Comment

In the past I have worked with Both Google and Microsoft Local.live mapping in the past - overall I prefer the Microsoft solution as the API just seems to make sence
            www.stormtrack.co.uk - My Stormchasing website.

Comment

Microsoft Live mapping is better than Google IMHO.

http://dev.live.com/virtualearth/

Comment

If it's a personal project, have a look at the Yahoo Pipes project before re-inventing something round and spoke-y.

In terms of map mashups, I wish I had thought of www.nestoria.com first.

Also see www.zoomf.com for a nestoria-like and the "Mashups via Programmable Web" site for "research".

Comment

Interesting, thanks. Well I'll make sure to have an easily swappable presentation layer (has "tier" gone completely out of fashion?) in case the options change.

The Google maps API does look very jagged and scripty, so I'll see what Microsoft has to offer.

It would be for a public website, where people can put alerts on the map and others can look for alerts in their neighbourhood. Something on the scale of ononemap.com (which has gone into hibernation).

Comment

Just an update for the interested: after failing to get beyond a grey rectangle with the Google one, I'm using the Microsoft Virtual Earth map control because it's a nicely wrapped-up server control.

Even if its pushpins are stupid. When you zoom in, the pin 'pivots' around its horizontal centre, and not the pointy bit that's actually stuck in the map.Have they never seen a pin in real life?

Comment

Working...
                    X