• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

dell inspiron mini 9 netbook

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dell inspiron mini 9 netbook

has anyone here been able to try one of these things out? are they as good as they seem to be? any problems? limitations?
    cheers

Originally posted by scotspine View Post
    has anyone here been able to try one of these things out? are they as good as they seem to be? any problems? limitations?
    cheers
    Battery life
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

It doesn't come with any form of windoze, which may be a good or bad thing depending on your preference.

Linky sent to me this morning. Looking at this you can have XP and an extra 8gig (required I suppose) for only £29 more.
      Last edited by gingerjedi; 17 December 2008, 12:47.
      Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
        It doesn't come with any form of windoze, which may be a good or bad thing depending on your preference.

Linky sent to me this morning. Looking at this you can have XP and an extra 8gig (required I suppose) for only £29 more.
        No windows AND £29? Bargain.

Comment

If a netbook is what you're after it's probably a similar spec to every other netbook out there with a similar screen size.

The main disadvantage I found with the smaller netbooks (such as this) is they don't have useable keyboards. Fine for the odd session but not something you'd want to type away on for hours on end.

I went for the Advent 4211 10" incher for a more usable keyboard, though the resolution is pegged the same due to restrictions with the netbook standard.

Unfortunately at the moment, for higher resolution you need to go slightly beyond the netbooks to 12" or larger.

So if a netbook is all you need, it's probably worth a punt if the price comparion to other netbook clones doesn't put you off.
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

I don't understand the appeal. Are there really that many times where your laptop is just too big and your phone is just too small and you find yourself wishing you had something inbetween?

£100 more buys a pretty decent laptop.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
              True. Nearly settled for a 12" one, with built in DVD. Shame it was faulty and discontinued (so couldn't get a replacement) otherwise would have been a bargain.

The problem with low end full strength lappies, is they're not exactly light or cool running, so not ideal for sitting on your lap.

For something to sit on your lap whilst surfing in front of the telly, netbooks are ok, though could do with more vertical resolution.
              Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
              Feist - I Feel It All
              Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

I don't understand the appeal. Are there really that many times where your laptop is just too big and your phone is just too small and you find yourself wishing you had something inbetween?

If you do lots of short flights (e.g. Manchester to London), as I do, having something that you can work on, which starts up and shuts down in seconds is great. With my Windows laptop, by the time it comes out of hibernation, it's time to switch it off again! With my EEE PC, it's got next to no startup or shutdown time, and I can work on documents with a reasonable size keyboard and screen.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

i've got one (Linux version) and i really like it. it's the kind of thing you just throw in a bag when you're going away somewhere and want to use wifi (holidays, family visits, starbucks etc) and you don't worry too much about it getting nicked (it's cheap) or taking too many knocks (SSD, so no moving parts). the Mini 9 looks and feels a lot nicer than the other netbooks i've played with, too, it's lovely and light, really small, but still seems like a laptop rather than a toy.

as said above though, battery life isn't good, and if you've gotten used to decent (ie Apple) laptops, using a netbook (especially w/ WinXP) can be a bit of a ghetto experience.
                  Originally posted by BolshieBastard
                  You're fulfilling a business role not partaking in a rock and roll concert.

Comment

I don't understand the appeal. Are there really that many times where your laptop is just too big and your phone is just too small and you find yourself wishing you had something in between?
                    Yes, most of the time. I don't carry a backpack all the time and don't want to lumber myself with a laptop bag either. A small shoulder bag is fine by me.

Also startup and shutdown times matter a lot to me. In my ideal use, I'd switch it on and off frequently. With my laptop, either I leave it on all the time and keep wasting time on it, or I leave it off and I might as well not have it with me (which is what I am considering).

As for the keyboard, I don't touch-type. I never have spent hours typing, and don't intend to start now.

You may not have the same pattern as I do (YMMV as they say) but those are my parameters. TBH I do think that the target markt is people with a couple of hundred to spare, who want another gadget. That's why I resist buying one, but I have to admit that it looks like it fits my requirements.

Comment

Working...
                    X