• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

dell inspiron mini 9 netbook

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't see the keyboard as being an issue. These mini laptops are not meant for doing long essays on they are meant for general surfing etc. However on the one I have just bought my daughter it has a number of USB connections and a video output so she could attach external devices if she had a huge document to knock out.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

thanks guys. good replies. i see that vodafone are doing an offer re online access. any thoughts? also, those of you who have used one, any thoughts on it providing a basic, portable ms, v/studio, sql express dev platform?
      cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by scotspine View Post
        thanks guys. good replies. i see that vodafone are doing an offer re online access. any thoughts? also, those of you who have used one, any thoughts on it providing a basic, portable ms, v/studio, sql express dev platform?
        cheers.
        Vodaphone have an exclusive on the model with an in-built 3G card. Whether that's a bonus or not is up to you...
        ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Do you have to give it back at the end of the contract though?

"Keep them at 24,000"
          "No, feet"

Comment

Originally posted by scotspine View Post
            also, those of you who have used one, any thoughts on it providing a basic, portable ms, v/studio, sql express dev platform?

I don't think there's enough screen real-estate for anything like VS.

Even surfing is a pain (e.g. a YouTube video barely fits on the screen due to the limited height) unless you turn off all the toolbars, status bar etc and run in minimal mode.

Get down to your local PC World and check them out to see if you could live with one.

That's why I'm typing this on a lightweight 13.3" with 1440x900, soon got bored of the netbook. Too limiting unless you need the ultraportability above all else.
            Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
            Feist - I Feel It All
            Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

I have got VS2005 set up on my eee pc, and it is fine for a few tasks. I've generally been using it to work out ideas in class libraries (you need to make all the tool bars slide in and out for any practical use) and testing in NUnit. I wouldn't want to use it for anything gui related though, for that a proper laptop with a decent resolution is needed.

Comment

just ordered one of these Dell jobbies with ubuntu. I'm hoping it will be delivered before xmas but I doubt it. Dell don't appear to be the quickest in shipping things.

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                  I don't think there's enough screen real-estate for anything like VS.

Even surfing is a pain (e.g. a YouTube video barely fits on the screen due to the limited height) unless you turn off all the toolbars, status bar etc and run in minimal mode.

Get down to your local PC World and check them out to see if you could live with one.

That's why I'm typing this on a lightweight 13.3" with 1440x900, soon got bored of the netbook. Too limiting unless you need the ultraportability above all else.
                  I want size = fits on an A4 page. And startup & shutdown in as few seconds as possible. And cost less than £500. And yes I do want all of those above anything else (well, I would find an Etch-a-Sketch a bit limiting).

I liked the look of the Toshiba Libretto but it was way way too expensive. And I really really want fast boot and shutdown.

As I said YMMV.

Comment

Working...
                  X