• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dedicated servers - OVH?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dedicated servers - OVH?

I'm in the market for a dedicated server. Has anyone used OVH? :

http://www.ovh.co.uk/individual/prod...ted_offers.xml

They seem to be controlled by a French parent company and have their UK offices in Stratford (East London). They offer remote KVM and put FreeBSD on it to get you going - both of which tick the right boxes with me.

I must admit the Stratford office thing has me concerned - not exactly the Thames Valley or Docklands is it?

Seems they've moved to Bermondsey since I last looked!
    Last edited by NoddY; 26 November 2008, 23:16. Reason: change details

not heard of OVH

how about Amen Hosting:
    http://www.amenworld.com/static/dedicated_server.html

owned by Claranet if i remember correctly
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
      not heard of OVH

how about Amen Hosting:
      http://www.amenworld.com/static/dedicated_server.html

owned by Claranet if i remember correctly
      No *BSD or remote KVM!

Comment

I've had a server with Register1 for a while now - well worth a look. Their support and reliability are excellent, and they get good reviews.
        Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

It's unlikely that their servers are located in their offices.

FWIW, these days I just bring up server instances on Amazon's EC2 as and when they're needed - and get rid of them as and when they're not.

Running a decent server on EC2 costs about fifty quid a month once you factor in data transfer and storage on S3. The decline of the exchange rate might hike that up a bit - maybe sixty quid - but the flexibility is worth it. It used to be a bit experimental, but now EC2 is out of beta, Elastic Block Storage eradicates the critical issue of losing disk content in the event of VM failure, and Elastic IPs give you a free static IP address (or several) with the ability to rapidly (about twenty seconds last time I checked) attach it to a new server instance if the original server goes tits-up - and all done over the net

Comment

I use webhosting.uk.com not for a dedicated server (I'm planning to upgrade to that when growth allows) but I pay £31/month for Windows VPS which is great for what I want to do, I can acess my remote desktop form a web browser (or RDC) anywhere and it's all backed up.

I see they do Linux VPS as well - dunno if that helps?
            "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by NoddY View Post
              I'm in the market for a dedicated server. Has anyone used OVH? :
              I have used OVH for years, since I was in France but stayed now I am in the UK; but only for domain reg and basic hosting.

However, I have always found them helpful, reliable AFAIK, and excellent value for money.

Indeed the parent Co is French, and they have a UK Co also now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
                I use webhosting.uk.com not for a dedicated server (I'm planning to upgrade to that when growth allows) but I pay £31/month for Windows VPS which is great for what I want to do, I can acess my remote desktop form a web browser (or RDC) anywhere and it's all backed up.

I see they do Linux VPS as well - dunno if that helps?
                What is the performance like on the VMs , ? Is it any good for a DB or WEB production servers ?

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                  It's unlikely that their servers are located in their offices.

FWIW, these days I just bring up server instances on Amazon's EC2 as and when they're needed - and get rid of them as and when they're not.

Running a decent server on EC2 costs about fifty quid a month once you factor in data transfer and storage on S3. The decline of the exchange rate might hike that up a bit - maybe sixty quid - but the flexibility is worth it. It used to be a bit experimental, but now EC2 is out of beta, Elastic Block Storage eradicates the critical issue of losing disk content in the event of VM failure, and Elastic IPs give you a free static IP address (or several) with the ability to rapidly (about twenty seconds last time I checked) attach it to a new server instance if the original server goes tits-up - and all done over the net
                  Do you actually get RDP / Console access with this ?

Comment

Originally posted by juststarting View Post
                    Do you actually get RDP / Console access with this ?
                    If you use the recently-introduced Windows machine images, then I believe you administer them via Windows Remote Desktop. I use Linux machines and administer them via SSH.

As you have almost complete control over your installation (there are certain kernel modules required to support the virtualisation environment, but other than that you can do what you want), I think there's probably some way of setting up a GUI remote administration tool on the Linux boxes using X, but I don't bother - I can do all I want with a CLI, or via a web-based administration tool for mySQL.

There's also a nifty Firefox extension called ElasticFox for managing the infrastructure aspects: machine instances, IP addresses, block storage devices and so forth.

Comment

Working...
                    X