• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mobile broadband - which?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
    Those of you on 3 - did you get it through the business? If so, what paperwork (bills etc) did you need to take into the store before they'd give you credit?
    Bought mine online with my business debit card - no paperwork required.
    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

TMobile works fine for me in London. Usually it connects me with a fast HSDPA connection.
      'Orwell's 1984 was supposed to be a warning, not an instruction manual'. -
      Nick Pickles, director of Big Brother Watch.

Comment

Those of you on 3 - did you get it through the business? If so, what paperwork (bills etc) did you need to take into the store before they'd give you credit?
        Actually did mine online with The Link, got a free mini laptop for the wife and just entered the company bank account in the online form. There was nothing to pay upfront so all neat from my point of view.

Comment

Do any allow pay as you go, or something equally non-commital?

Was tempted with this when I was staying in a b&b bored silly. Coverage was crap, according to the maps on the various provider websites. Just because you can get a mobile signal doesn't mean you'll get a good (or any) mobile broadband connection.

Decided to leave it till the coverage improves, which may be a few years away yet, depending on location and locations you think you may be wanting to use it.
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
            Do any allow pay as you go, or something equally non-commital?

Was tempted with this when I was staying in a b&b bored silly. Coverage was crap, according to the maps on the various provider websites. Just because you can get a mobile signal doesn't mean you'll get a good (or any) mobile broadband connection.

Decided to leave it till the coverage improves, which may be a few years away yet, depending on location and locations you think you may be wanting to use it.
            I have a PAYG Three dongle. Spent 6 months on a gig where there was no coverage, didn't have to pay for (not) using it
            ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              I get that as well sometimes, problem is if the dongle doesn't get a 3G connection, it will use the 2G network and then stay on it
              I usually find disconnecting, then use a USB cable to allow me to position the dongle better and reconnecting will get a 3G connection.

I've also noticed some possible interferance with my wireless mouse
              Mine's a bit different - I always get a 3.5 g connection but depending which route
              I get, some websites just don't load

Comment

Check coverage with all the operators. In 'Nam we only have Vodafone & Orange. I'm with Vodafone which has been ok until this last week when emails that I'm sending to my client have been going astray and turning up days later.

Comment

T-Mobile do an occasional use PAYG scheme for £2 per day, plus £50 for the dongle.

I get a pretty solid T-Mobile 3G connection at home on my phone, so I've been tempted to get one just as a back up.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I rang them, and had to fax a PO on company paper.

My new phone contract is on T-mobile, and I just took the company cheque book and a copy of the certificate of incorporation in. That was overkill, really, they said that the cheque book or a company debit card would have been fine.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

O2 do a deal - £20/month for mobile broadband with free home broadband.

I use a constat ping in the background to keep the connection open - works a treat.
                      ping -t o2.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                      X