• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mobile broadband - which?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobile broadband - which?

I'm about to get my own office space, but rather than pay them £40 a month for hosted internet/telephony I'm looking to just get a mobile broadband dongle for my laptop.

Anyone recommend or give advice on which to get? Any good deals around?

Cheers.
    The cycle of life: born > learn > work > learn > dead.

Originally posted by chris79 View Post
    I'm about to get my own office space, but rather than pay them £40 a month for hosted internet/telephony I'm looking to just get a mobile broadband dongle for my laptop.

Cheers.
    3 are doing half price for business customers at the mo. Most expensive package was under a tenner a month IIRC.

Runs out soon though...
    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by chris79 View Post

Cheers.
      I have a 3 Mobile Broadband account and I'm very happy with it, but if you haven't already then check out the coverage map in your area to make sure you can get the speeds your require.
      Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

I have a 3 Dongle, works quite well.

However, I've started using a bluetooth link to my Nokia E71(also on 3) which works even better in my area. YEMD.
        (Phone upstairs on windowsill gets better connection than my dongle plugged into laptop).

Comment

Another vote for 3, tried Vodafone and although their peak speed is currently theoretically higher, I couldn't get a Voda 3G signal in either Manchester or Glasgow, both areas that are advertised at 7.2Mb. Three I get a nice constant 2Mb no matter where I am and was able to work almost solidly (no more than 10 mins disconnected) on the train from Manchester to Glasgow at 3G or 3G+ speeds.

Comment

I'm with Three as well, overall pretty good
            Coffee's for closers

Comment

I HATE my three connection because it's so tulipe where I stay in London.

If you don't mind having to reconnect every few seconds, it's great though. At one point I got a connection speed of 12.8k!!!
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Three are fine until anything goes wrong. I am using an E71 with bluetooth and I get an excellent connection once I get on properly, however due (I suspect) to something in 3's network infrastructure, I sometimes have to disconnect and reconnect multiple times before I get a "good" connection. I have tried reporting this but all that happens is someone rings you back and suggests you reboot various things etc - they won't listen when you explain that your setup hasn't changed and several attempts mean you get a good routing points to duff infrastructure at their end. Overall, they are still better than Vodafone were before I changed though.

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                  Three are fine until anything goes wrong. I am using an E71 with bluetooth and I get an excellent connection once I get on properly, however due (I suspect) to something in 3's network infrastructure, I sometimes have to disconnect and reconnect multiple times before I get a "good" connection. I have tried reporting this but all that happens is someone rings you back and suggests you reboot various things etc - they won't listen when you explain that your setup hasn't changed and several attempts mean you get a good routing points to duff infrastructure at their end. Overall, they are still better than Vodafone were before I changed though.
                  I get that as well sometimes, problem is if the dongle doesn't get a 3G connection, it will use the 2G network and then stay on it
                  I usually find disconnecting, then use a USB cable to allow me to position the dongle better and reconnecting will get a 3G connection.

I've also noticed some possible interferance with my wireless mouse
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Those of you on 3 - did you get it through the business? If so, what paperwork (bills etc) did you need to take into the store before they'd give you credit?
                    ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Working...
                    X