• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MacBook Magsafe PSU Cables melt :(

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MacBook Magsafe PSU Cables melt :(

Lots of crapola around about Apple magsafe PSU cables melting.

I can understand why. The PSU cable is far too thin to carry the current needed to charge the MB battery if the battery is near flat.

Stress that thin little grey cable, or kink it, and it's a potential fire hazzard.

If this was Samsung, they would have recalled all the PSUs and replaced them free of charge.

As this is Apple, they simply deny that the problem exists and require you to pay £55+VAT for a replacement unit.

Winkers!

I will be keeping a very close eye on my MacBook charger
    Last edited by bogeyman; 18 November 2008, 17:57.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Very old news - the last time I heard anything new about this was about a year ago. I've known it to happen to one person I worked with though (a year ago last summer), so it's definitely not urban legend

That said, I believe they did make some tweaks to the design, so it may not be an issue any more.

FWIW, it appears to happen very early in their life. If it doesn't happen then, it seems that it doesn't happen at all.

Last year I accidentally soaked my MacBook PSU when a bottle of water broke in my laptop bag. Without really thinking through what had happened I plugged it in, and it was no problem at all. Of course, it never worked again, but it didn't blow up or anything
    Last edited by NickFitz; 18 November 2008, 18:33.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Very old news - the last time I heard anything new about this was about a year ago. I've known it to happen to one person I worked with though (a year ago last summer), so it's definitely not urban legend

That said, I believe they did make some tweaks to the design, so it may not be an issue any more.

FWIW, it appears to happen very early in their life. If it doesn't happen then, it seems that it doesn't happen at all.

Last year I accidentally soaked my MacBook PSU when a bottle of water broke in my laptop bag. Without really thinking through what had happened I plugged it in, and it was no problem at all. Of course, it never worked again, but it didn't blow up or anything
      Definitely not an 'urban legend' Nick...

http://flickr.com/search/?w=all&q=magsafe+melt

The charger outputs 16.5VDC up to 3.6A (appx 60W). I wouldn't trust that flimsy cable to carry 20W for any length of time.

Much as I love Apple's industrial design, this is taking form over function to potentially dangerous extremes.

Gotta love Apple's total denial and arrogance about this: "There is no problem"

Shoddy work, Apple!
      Last edited by bogeyman; 19 November 2008, 00:47.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Working...
      X