• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Windows Azure - only the developers to survive ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows Azure - only the developers to survive ?

Have you seen this "Azure thing" ? In 2 words this is the name of Microsoft's attempt to put all web apps and sites onto its own web data centres ...

If this architecture is to kick in ... bye , bye It admins , and IT support ....

http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/e...c/default.mspx

The usual devastatingly insightful analysis (some weeks after the fact) from 2uk.

This is just MS's attempt to compete with Amazon EC2 and Google App Engine.

As with all MS attempts to compete outside the OS and office application arenas, it will fail.

Don't worry, there'll be lots of companies withering away with their 20th Century approaches to 21st Century problems for some years yet. You might even have the opportunity to realise how valueless your MS technology skills are and learn how to do something useful instead before they're all gone

P.S. That was more than "2 words".
    Last edited by NickFitz; 15 November 2008, 05:35.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      The usual devastatingly insightful analysis (some weeks after the fact) from 2uk.

This is just MS's attempt to compete with Amazon EC2 and Google App Engine.

As with all MS attempts to compete outside the OS and office application arenas, it will fail.

Don't worry, there'll be lots of companies withering away with their 20th Century approaches to 21st Century problems for some years yet. You might even have the opportunity to realise how valueless your MS technology skills are and learn how to do something useful instead before they're all gone

P.S. That was more than "2 words".
      Just had a quick look at Amazon , and they dont have their OS nor programming skills.

Now I know you are insecure socially so I wont be harsh with you.

What I meant was , that MS is pretty much giving you a hosting environment .

This is no different than today when you get /set up a hosting environment. Now amazon host both MS and Linux which simply means both worlds will keep living on.. As for google , besides having some APIs do they have Visual Studio ? I dunno , Do they have an OS ? Yes surely they can buy someone etc , but the point was:

It does mean that hosting both infrastructure and web sites/services will be spread among few big guys. This means that hosting providers and the in-house IT are in direct danger.

And to be honest the lack of responses to this thread indicates that most contractors dont care at the moment ( which is our nature , we care wat we can do now ) or that nobody listens to 2uk which is why I am I will be retiring him.

Comment

I'm a web developer and architect. Bring it on I say. This type of thing - http://www.hybris.com/Products/null/Products.html - is probably the future and I'm making sure I'm keeping up to speed. Besides, who needs admins? All they do is get in the way of the real work
        Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
          I'm a web developer and architect. Bring it on I say. This type of thing - http://www.hybris.com/Products/null/Products.html - is probably the future and I'm making sure I'm keeping up to speed. Besides, who needs admins? All they do is get in the way of the real work

WHS

At a recent client we were bringing a whole load of outsourced web stuff back in-house, and building a new team from some of the best in the industry. This included a new admin for the web servers, who was obviously a necessary person to have, and who was absolutely sodding brilliant for the first few weeks.

Unfortunately, the in-house IT team (who no longer included anybody with skills in running web stuff due to the previous misguided outsourcing) managed to get him re-allocated to them through some internal "precedence over servers" nonsense in an outdated policy document, and he became subject to their procedures.

Suddenly, requirements that could previously be met in minutes threatened to take days as they went through a system designed to cope with "the sales people need more disk space sometime in the next month or two" when we were trying to cope with "we need to scale this to an additional server for that subdomain in each co-lo for the next thirty-six hours until the demand created by the Breakfast Show promotion dies down, after which that capacity is no longer required and can be redistributed to traffic news updates" and suchlike. If people hadn't been so willing to say "Bollocks to your policies" and just get things done, it would have been epic fail.

Anybody who imagines that skills in traditional IT administration are anything other than legacy has their head in a bucket.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob View Post
            Yeah right, well I have some good news for you. You will be patching the 400 servers Monday. Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by juststarting View Post
              Yeah right, well I have some good news for you. You will be patching the 400 servers Monday. Good Luck.
              Either you're clairvoyant about my client co, or I know you. Which is it?
              Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by 2uk View Post
                Have you seen this "Azure thing" ?
                I thought it was the colour of the screen? As in, And then it azure-screened me. Like.

Comment

Both worlds have future.

Comment

Working...
                  X