• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LINQ to SQL, Entity Framework etc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Sadly though, it's a techno dead end. Apart from bug fixing, it ain't going to be in .NET 4.0

Dropped, never to be mentioned again.

Looks like you'll have plenty of work porting it to the much more complex Entity Framework (which is universally despised by everyone that used it!).
    Just read those blogs

GRRRRRRRR!!!

Comment

Originally posted by themistry View Post
      linq is being dropped? I had no idea.

Ok, well done ms

Not Linq, just Linq to SQL (and the support for the designer in VS.NET).

So all you Linq to SQL code will still run in .NET 4.0, but you will not be able to develop it further in the VS.NET 2010. You'll be encouraged to rewrite the whole thing in Linq to Entities and use the Entity Framework Designer (which is much more complex and hated).

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Not Linq, just Linq to SQL (and the support for the designer in VS.NET).

So all you Linq to SQL code will still run in .NET 4.0, but you will not be able to develop it further in the VS.NET 2010. You'll be encouraged to rewrite the whole thing in Linq to Entities and use the Entity Framework Designer (which is much more complex and hated).
        I've just gone over the blogs you posted. This is really quite shocking. They get something right, and decide to turn it on its head.

All they had to do was allow extendable providers for more complex usage situations (i.e. bad architecture ). I have huge volumes going through a Linq To SQL backend with zero issues.

People mistake simplicity for RAD or POC. Why is the world run by thickos. I think ATW has had a hand in this.

TM

Comment

So how have you fitted it into the previous architecture best practisce patterns?

Whilst I can see the benefits of reduced coding, if you pull the database into the Business Tier you loose the benefits of OO and creating a Domain Specific Language.

I've been torn between wrapping the data entities with my business objects, or creating a translation layer between the data and business entities. (This is what my old DataLayers used to do anyway)

I like the generic approach for querying that linq provides, its just trying to fit it into previous best practices that I am struggling with.

I tried custom mappings onto my Business Entities, but ended up in a world of pooh with asociations and cyclic references, and not much documentation.. It just became really clunky...

Comment

Originally posted by themistry View Post
            See my points inline:
            I didn't mean to say wcf was ugly, i love wcf, i have been struggling to fit linq to sql into the previous paradigms, that is what I find ugly. My Middle tier datalayers used to transcribe the optimised data structures from the db into nice and tidy Domian Model objects that other developers could come in and quickly pick up as per all the previous best practice guidelines..

I was thinking about using partial classes as part of my suggested wrapper solution..

I may be stupid but i'm not one of these IT know it all bores -

If you provide some references to your learning material then I might take some of your patronising advice onboard, then you can feel all smug and clever.

Of course optimisation isn't a bad thing, but I have heard of at least three instances where juniour developers have picked up linq to sql used all the wizzy stuff and ended up making thousands of round trips to the db etc etc, my beef is that it can be dangourous, the last Blue chip I was at they were trying to get the BA's to wright applications..mainly because of the RAD and Linq stuff.

I'm sure I'll get a smart alec response...

Comment

Originally posted by LittlestHobbo View Post
              Of course optimisation isn't a bad thing, but I have heard of at least three instances where juniour developers have picked up linq to sql used all the wizzy stuff and ended up making thousands of round trips to the db etc etc, my beef is that it can be dangourous, the last Blue chip I was at they were trying to get the BA's to wright applications..mainly because of the RAD and Linq stuff.
              That issue also applies to NHibernate and most ORM frameworks out there. Just take them juniors to one side and give them a thrashing, they'll soon learn!

Comment

Working...
              X