• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LINQ to SQL, Entity Framework etc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LINQ to SQL, Entity Framework etc

Word is LINQ to SQL is dead (quietly dropped).

Thank you for your comments. We apologize for the delay in response as we were at PDC this week, but wanted to get the post out in line with our PDC sessions. We would like to reiterate that we are listening to customers regarding LINQ to SQL and will continue to evolve the product based on feedback we receive from the community, but that as many of you said, we are making a significant investment in the Entity Framework and many other MS technologies are planning to build on the Entity Framework going forward.

We would like to assure you that as we invest in the Entity Framework going forward, it is our priority to ensure it enables the same simple, lightweight usage scenario you currently have with LINQ to SQL and will continue to be fully compatible with newer MS technologies that are building on top of the Entity Framework down the road. For more information on some of the features we are working on to enable this scenario in the Entity Framework please check out the EFDesign Blog and PDC’s EF Futures from this past Tuesday.

Elisa Flasko

Program Manager, Data Programmability
    http://blogs.msdn.com/adonet/archive...s-roadmap.aspx

http://www.infoq.com/news/2008/11/DLINQ-Future

Anyone here used the Entity Framework (LINQ to Entities)? This is the future, but I've read a lot of scathing reviews of this V1 MS technology.

Thoughts on the LINQ to SQL and EF debacle? NHibernate perhaps?

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Anyone here used the Entity Framework (LINQ to Entities)? This is the future, but I've read a lot of scathing reviews of this V1 MS technology.
    Not yet (it's another one of those things on my "must-take-a-look-at" list) but I've also seen it widely panned - there's even a "no confidence" petition.
    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

I guess most people are steering well clear of the latest V1.0 MS technologies, since they seem to have a habit of:

Not working
      Disappearing
      Being replaced by another V1.0 technology that is not compatible.

Leaving you up sheet creek without a paddle.

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
        Not yet (it's another one of those things on my "must-take-a-look-at" list) but I've also seen it widely panned - there's even a "no confidence" petition.
        Oh Dear (TM). That petition, in summary, says, "M$'s crap and we all fell for it."

Comment

Word is LINQ to SQL is dead (quietly dropped).
          Nice one, strike that one off my 'stuffimreallygoingtohavetolearnatsomepointbutcant bearsedatthemoment,maybetomorrow' list.

Oh hang on, they're saying the Entity Framework is harder

Comment

Linq to sql - I've been using it on a new project...been struggling like mad to fit it into the usual enterprise patterns (Process, Entities, Data Layer etc).

Also, if anyone is using it for gods sake run a sql profiler and double check the sql it runs, i got a nasty surprise. (DeferredLoading etc)

I'd been reading lots of blogs from people going on about how great it is...and been scratching my head...thinking i must be a dumb **** - 'cause at best fitting it into ntier, Domain Models, wcf etc is ugly. Basically you end up with the database model embedded in your business logic domain. (sucks)

Whilst it would have been dull, I could of written my data layer in half time with sprocs and datareaders, and i bet it would of performed better, as least I'd know what going on!

Anyone come across any good architecture guides for it?

Haven't checked out the Entity Framework yet...If they can get it right think it must be the way forwards...
            Last edited by LittlestHobbo; 12 November 2008, 22:10.

Comment

We have used Linq to SQL and Linq to XML extensively (in fact it makes the backend of at least 7 services) in an enterprise project I'm working on.

It is quite simply amazing, and really kicks to earth Hibernate and its .net equivilent.

Fantastic technologies where ms have got something damm right for a change.

TM

Comment

Originally posted by themistry View Post
                We have used Linq to SQL and Linq to XML extensively (in fact it makes the backend of at least 7 services) in an enterprise project I'm working on.

It is quite simply amazing, and really kicks to earth Hibernate and its .net equivilent.

Fantastic technologies where ms have got something damm right for a change.

TM
                Sadly though, it's a techno dead end. Apart from bug fixing, it ain't going to be in .NET 4.0

Dropped, never to be mentioned again.

Looks like you'll have plenty of work porting it to the much more complex Entity Framework (which is universally despised by everyone that used it!).

Comment

Originally posted by LittlestHobbo View Post
                  Linq to sql - I've been using it on a new project...been struggling like mad to fit it into the usual enterprise patterns (Process, Entities, Data Layer etc).

Use partial classes to compose your Process tier from the linq context, the linq context itself becomes your entity tier (and very powerful too!) and the data layer should be what it was meant to be, a data later (physical database, xml files etc).

Also, if anyone is using it for gods sake run a sql profiler and double check the sql it runs, i got a nasty surprise. (DeferredLoading etc)

So optimisation is a bad thing?

I'd been reading lots of blogs from people going on about how great it is...and been scratching my head...thinking i must be a dumb flip - 'cause at best fitting it into ntier, Domain Models, wcf etc is ugly. Basically you end up with the database model embedded in your business logic domain. (sucks)

I think you hit the nail on the head. You must be dumb. And WCF is ugly? What does that mean? It's probably the most refined service technology available todate.

Whilst it would have been dull, I could of written my data layer in half time with sprocs and datareaders, and i bet it would of performed better, as least I'd know what going on!

think you are missing the point here. And I can write my complex entity and process tiers within minutes. So you are doing something wrong. Sprocs...

Anyone come across any good architecture guides for it?

Haven't checked out the Entity Framework yet...If they can get it right think it must be the way forwards...
                  See my points inline:

Comment

Sadly though, it's a techno dead end. Apart from bug fixing, it ain't going to be in .NET 4.0

Dropped, never to be mentioned again.

Looks like you'll have plenty of work porting it to the much more complex Entity Framework (which is universally despised by everyone that used it!).
                    linq is being dropped? I had no idea.

Ok, well done ms

Comment

Working...
                    X