• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mac Woes

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mac Woes

I'm trying to help my Ma get back to where she was after her sub 2 year old mac decided that was plenty long enough for a hard drive to last.

We have reinstalled iwork06 which is a fully kosher copy she paid for. Unfortunately, in spite of claims on the mac support and various other websites to the contrary, it won't open any of the old WP docs she created in appleworks 6 (6.0.4).

My solution to this last time (IIRC) was to copy the Appleworks application from her old and no longer used machine and use that. However, I also seem to remember I had to update it first as 6.0.4 won't run under osX.

I can't get the update to run though (tried 6.2 and 6.2.9) - however I try it says it can't find the application (even though it is there and is where it should be).

Any help will be appreciated by me and my ma.
    Last edited by Peoplesoft bloke; 4 November 2008, 16:00.

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    I'm trying to help my Ma get back to where she was after her sub 2 year old mac decided that was plenty long enough for a hard drive to last.

We have reinstalled iwork06 which is a fully kosher copy she paid for. Unfortunately, in spite of claims on the mac support and various other websites to the contrary, it won't open any of the old WP docs she created in appleworks 6 (6.0.4).

My solution to this last time (IIRC) was to copy the Appleworks application form her old and no longer used machine and use that. However, I also seem to remember I had to update it first. I can't get the update to run - however I try it says it can't find the application (even though it is there and is where it should be).

Any help will be appreciated by me and my ma.
    Mac's are machines crafted by the man above himself. Therefore problem must be between chair and keyboard.

Scooterscot

Comment

Buy a Dell
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        Buy a Dell
        I told her that but she's a die-hard Mac fan (although less so since her MacBook has been such a load of tulipe)

Comment

First hit for "iwork06 appleworks 6.0.4 documents"

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....12&tstart=2069
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
            First hit for "iwork06 appleworks 6.0.4 documents"

http://discussions.apple.com/thread....12&tstart=2069
            And very nice too - sadly absolutely nothing to do with the issues I'm having, but thanks all the same.

Comment

problem you have is that since macs "never break" there will be absolutely no information on the net on how to fix them

Take it back to the apple store (don't forget your wallet)
              Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
                Mac's are machines crafted by the man above himself. Therefore problem must be between chair and keyboard.

Scooterscot
                Mac HDs are pure commodity items. I'm almost convinced they buy 'seconds'.

Love the design and OS X but sometimes the stock components like HDDs are a bit crappy.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

What actual problems are you having getting Pages 2 to open the Appleworks docs?

Just saying that it doesn't work isn't giving us a lot to go on

Comment

Get another mac?
                    Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Working...
                    X