• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

SQL courses - recommendations please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SQL courses - recommendations please

Not sure if this is the correct thread, but shoot me if it isn't.

For a non sql person, I've noticed an increasing amount of BA jobs in my industry asking for additional sql skills. So to up the ante on getting me off the bench and into a new contract, i was thinking of doing a sql course.

Does anyone know of a good course, either down London way or Northampton direction.

Thanks!
    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Not sure if this is the correct thread, but shoot me if it isn't.

For a non sql person, I've noticed an increasing amount of BA jobs in my industry asking for additional sql skills. So to up the ante on getting me off the bench and into a new contract, i was thinking of doing a sql course.

Does anyone know of a good course, either down London way or Northampton direction.

Thanks!
    Get yourself a book and see how far you get with that 'SQL in 24hrs' > http://www.informit.com/library/libr...TY_Sql_24hours

To be honest the level of SQL knowledge you need as a BA tends to be pretty low level SQL. I'm interviewing at the moment for a BA and one of the requirements is basic SQL knowledge. My expectations is someone who can do a basic SELECT FROM and join a few tables, and can use aggregate functions like SUM etc and know where to put the GROUP BY. You could get all that from the first couple of chapters.

Comment

Thanks, will have a look at that book and see how i get on.
      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
        I'm interviewing at the moment for a BA and one of the requirements is basic SQL knowledge. My expectations is someone who can do a basic SELECT FROM and join a few tables, and can use aggregate functions like SUM etc and know where to put the GROUP BY. You could get all that from the first couple of chapters.

Can I apply?

I have all that and more SQL as I've been using DB2 for at least 2 decades
        It's Deja-vu all over again!

Comment

Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
          Can I apply?

I have all that and more SQL as I've been using DB2 for at least 2 decades
          Whats DB2 ?

Comment

i've ordered the book.

if i read the first few chapters can i apply as well?

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
              SELECT TOP 1 course FROM all_courses
              WHERE how_good = 'good'
              AND where_it_is = 'down london way'
              OR where_it_is = 'Northampton direction'
              Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
                SELECT TOP 1 course FROM all_courses
                WHERE how_good = 'good'
                AND where_it_is = 'down london way'
                OR where_it_is = 'Northampton direction'
                you're missing some brackets
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                  you're missing some brackets
                  Yeh I know, I realised when I started I'd get the usual Transact/PL-SQL "you can't do that" comments so I went for some generic pseudoSQL just to get the laboured joke over.
                  Cooking doesn't get tougher than this.

Comment

Basic free online courses:

http://sqlcourse.com

and

http://sqlcourse2.com

update tblInterview
                    set interviewer_state = 'impressed'
                    where job_role = 'BA'
                    and requirements = 'SQL';

Comment

Working...