• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "SQL courses - recommendations please"

Collapse

• KathyWoolfe
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    replacement? from what I can see IMS is still current and hasn't been replaced
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Yes and no. It is IBM's relational database but it is not a replacement for IMS which is still going very strong.
    Sorry, maybe I should have used the word alternative instead. IMS is only current because of the inertia of companies to re-develop some of their legacy code with newer technology.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by KathyWoolfe View Post
    DB2 is IBM's relational database - replacement for IMS.
    Yes and no. It is IBM's relational database but it is not a replacement for IMS which is still going very strong. Remember also that DB2 is quite varied across platforms. Most platforms use DB2 UDB so that it is pretty consistent across the various platforms but when you get to DB2 for VM/VSE then there are quite a few differences (as it is still not part of the UDB family) which means that a DB2 application/database/whatever which is fine on z/OS will not function on z/VM.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    replacement? from what I can see IMS is still current and hasn't been replaced

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    And is what SQL was made for in the first place.

Leave a comment:

• KathyWoolfe
    replied
    Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
    Whats DB2 ?

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    Originally posted by TheBigYinJames View Post
    Please switch your PC off then on again, then call back, and ask for Arthur.
    Ah! You are.

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by Bob Dalek View Post
    Are you from Mumbai?
    Please switch your PC off then on again, then call back, and ask for Arthur.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Dalek
    replied
    Yeh I know, I realised when I started I'd get the usual Transact/PL-SQL "you can't do that" comments so I went for some generic pseudoSQL just to get the laboured joke over.
    Are you from Mumbai?

Leave a comment:

• lightng
    replied
    Basic free online courses:

http://sqlcourse.com

and

http://sqlcourse2.com

update tblInterview
    set interviewer_state = 'impressed'
    where job_role = 'BA'
    and requirements = 'SQL';

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
    you're missing some brackets
    Yeh I know, I realised when I started I'd get the usual Transact/PL-SQL "you can't do that" comments so I went for some generic pseudoSQL just to get the laboured joke over.

Leave a comment:

• Spacecadet
    replied
    SELECT TOP 1 course FROM all_courses
    WHERE how_good = 'good'
    AND where_it_is = 'down london way'
    OR where_it_is = 'Northampton direction'
    you're missing some brackets

Leave a comment:

• TheBigYinJames
    replied
    Originally posted by norrahe View Post
    Does anyone know of a good course, either down London way or Northampton direction.
    SELECT TOP 1 course FROM all_courses
    WHERE how_good = 'good'
    AND where_it_is = 'down london way'
    OR where_it_is = 'Northampton direction'

Leave a comment:

• norrahe
    replied
    i've ordered the book.

if i read the first few chapters can i apply as well?

Leave a comment:

• Bumfluff
    replied
    Can I apply?

I have all that and more SQL as I've been using DB2 for at least 2 decades
    Whats DB2 ?

Leave a comment:

• KathyWoolfe
    replied
    Originally posted by Bumfluff View Post
    I'm interviewing at the moment for a BA and one of the requirements is basic SQL knowledge. My expectations is someone who can do a basic SELECT FROM and join a few tables, and can use aggregate functions like SUM etc and know where to put the GROUP BY. You could get all that from the first couple of chapters.

Can I apply?

I have all that and more SQL as I've been using DB2 for at least 2 decades

Leave a comment:

Working...
X