• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Digital camera?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Digital camera?

Need to replace the old digital camera. Mrs Mustang wants to take even more pictures of the kids!

Anyone got any decent recommendations for a good "point and shoot" camera. Max price around 400GBP.

Same for video recorders.......

TIA

Originally posted by Mustang View Post
    Need to replace the old digital camera. Mrs Mustang wants to take even more pictures of the kids!

Anyone got any decent recommendations for a good "point and shoot" camera. Max price around 400GBP.

Same for video recorders.......

TIA
    There is a fairly comprehensive thread about that here

I still stand by what I said in that one. And I think Realityhack does too.

Comment

Originally posted by Gonzo View Post
      There is a fairly comprehensive thread about that here

I still stand by what I said in that one. And I think Realityhack does too.
      Digital camera technology moves on pretty rapidly - I would suggest looking at that thread, then checking for the equivalent-but-newer-and-better models that may have been released since then, including checking whether "newer" actually means "better".

FWIW, I bought a Ricoh Caplio GX 100 last year after a friend of mine (a professional photographer) had one on loan from Ricoh for a month and gave it an excellent review. (He's known in the industry for the bluntness and honesty of his reviews - he accepts no sponsorship or inducements, and if he thinks the kit is crap he says so.)

I was so pleased with it that, when it was stolen, I bought another one the next day.

They've recently brought out the new model, the GX 200. He hasn't reviewed that yet but it's probably worth a look.

(Oh, and OwlHoot decided to buy a GX 100 after having a play with mine at last year's CUK Christmas Gathering.)

Comment

Go for digital 35mm SLR , there is a huge difference between them and the results of snapshot digital cameras. As a compromise camera go for the Fuji S8000 £175 in camera shops and £99 at ASDA. (8MP 12 optical zoom anti-shake etc) It's not worth spending £400 because the kit for a £400 camera will cost you £1500.
        "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang View Post
          Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          Go for digital 35mm SLR
          Fail.
          ‎"See, you think I give a tulip. Wrong. In fact, while you talk, I'm thinking; How can I give less of a tulip? That's why I look interested."

Comment

www.dpreview.com

Excellent site. Ooh... the G10 is out.

Comment

Originally posted by Moscow Mule View Post
              Fail.
              Second hand maybe? A Nikon D50 with kit lens can be picked up for very little, and while it offers all the benefits of being a DSLR it also works well for point and shoot. You could then pick up a Nikon 50mm f/1.8D lens for around ~£75 new - and that is a great lens for indoor shots.

Only real downside is the bulk of it when compared to a compact.
              Last edited by voodooflux; 20 October 2008, 09:17.
              Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by realityhack View Post
                all the more reason to get a g9 at bargain prices. it is a gem of a camera.

Comment

£400 is dslr country. 1p more than I paid for an olympus 510 and twin lens kit earlier this year.

There will be deals as xmas gets nearer.

have a look at http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/index.html for price guides.
                  But also keep an eye on hotukdeals. In the last month the nikon D40 and canon 400d have been available for £220 & £200 respectively (including kit lens).

Comment

Originally posted by where did my id go? View Post
                    £400 is dslr country. 1p more than I paid for an olympus 510 and twin lens kit earlier this year.
                    And that is a very impressive and compact kit. It will work as P&S when you want.

You may want to arm yourself with Why Your Wife Wants You to Get a New Camera including "WHY YOUR WOMAN WANTS YOU TO HAVE AN EXPENSIVE CAMERA".

Comment

Working...
                    X