• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Digital camera?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by expat View Post
    And that is a very impressive and compact kit. It will work as P&S when you want.
    Indeed - The olympus entry level stuff is small enough that women (or blokes with small hands*) can handle it easily. I'd have a look at the 410 & 420 which really are p&s size but much better image quality - would be superb for shooting the kids - possibly the 25mm pancake kit.

Originally posted by expat View Post
    You may want to arm yourself with Why Your Wife Wants You to Get a New Camera including "WHY YOUR WOMAN WANTS YOU TO HAVE AN EXPENSIVE CAMERA".

* Yes I know what they say about blokes with small hands. I have an E-1 to fit my hand.

Comment

Hi,

I bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC FX500 in July and love it.
      It really is simply and easy to use and the picture quality is fantastic.
      It has loads of functions as well as video and a touch screen menu.
      If you want something simple and small I heartily recommend it.

I got mine online for around £239 I then bought a 16 Gig memory card from play.com for around £34

Pogle
      I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
      CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

I have now narrowed it down to the Canon EOS range. Primarily because they seem to have good lenses, good sensors and a reasonable amount of features for day to day use.

I am trying to decide between the 1000D, 450D and the 500D. Any suggestions? Is the price difference off the 500D justified?

Mrs Mustang has a "traditional" SLR - how can I tell whether her current lenses will fit any of these? I assume she can use all her current SLR accesories like cases and filters.....or?

Can anyone recommend a place that offers the best prices on DSLR's that is reputable?

Any comments in general on the EOS range?

TIA.

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang View Post
          I have now narrowed it down to the Canon EOS range. Primarily because they seem to have good lenses, good sensors and a reasonable amount of features for day to day use.

I am trying to decide between the 1000D, 450D and the 500D. Any suggestions? Is the price difference off the 500D justified?

Mrs Mustang has a "traditional" SLR - how can I tell whether her current lenses will fit any of these? I assume she can use all her current SLR accesories like cases and filters.....or?

Can anyone recommend a place that offers the best prices on DSLR's that is reputable?

Any comments in general on the EOS range?

TIA.
          If the current lenses work with an EOS, then they will work with a digital EOS - although they may not be as responsive as the latest ones could be. For example, the 18-55mm lens that I had with my EOS1000 was nowhere near as good as the new one that came with the Rebel XT that I bought some years later.

Most lenses tend to have a standard size, or you can get an adapter so the filters will still fit.

I love my Rebel XT, although the majority of the photography I do these days is with a Powershot G9, to be honest. Just more practical to carry around with you (and higher resolution than the Rebel).

RealityHack is your best bet for which model to go for (or certainly he used to be).
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I've just looked into this in some detail, for my son.

(1) Avoid Fuji. He's had one a couple of years. They eat batteries and have a habit of losing all settings when the batteries are being changed. This problem has got progressively worse over the 2 years he's owned it. He's totally fed up with it now and gasping for a "proper" camera. EDIT: my son has Fuji Finepix 6500

(2) Look at the Nikon D3000 kit on Amazon here:
            http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-D3000-...8219758&sr=8-1

Looks excellent, great reviews, simple point and shoot modes plus the camera "trains" you (in Guide Mode) on using the more interesting/difficult features. Santa has already bought this for my lad for Xmas

Comment

At risk of sounding like scooterscot, get a Nikon!
              ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Originally posted by DiscoStu View Post
                At risk of sounding like scooterscot, get a Canon!
                FTFY

I've often found each to their own - those that prefer Nikon will always stick with Nikon, and those that prefer a Canon will always go that route. I would always recommend Canon over Nikon because that's what I use and know best.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  FTFY

I've often found each to their own - those that prefer Nikon will always stick with Nikon, and those that prefer a Canon will always go that route. I would always recommend Canon over Nikon because that's what I use and know best.
                  Likewise, but in reverse. I love my Nikon, and having finally figured out how it works I couldn't be arsed with learning a new manufacturer's camera. Plus I wouldn't want to start replacing lenses...
                  ǝןqqıʍ

Comment

Hi,

I need a digital camera for my Plan b - to photograph faces and documents, should be small, light and cheap!!

Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by Mustang View Post
                      Need to replace the old digital camera. Mrs Mustang wants to take even more pictures of the kids!

Anyone got any decent recommendations for a good "point and shoot" camera. Max price around 400GBP.

Same for video recorders.......

TIA
                      I've been happy with my Canon SX200 IS camera from Jessops.

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/...5930/Show.html

Done some nice pics with the camera whilst on my recent cruise. (Not stunning, but impressive compared to some of the cameras I had before).

Depending on what one wants to do with the photo's, SLR may be the way to go. Can send you a link via PM if you want to get some ideas of piccies I have taken with the camera.
                      If your company is the best place to work in, for a mere £500 p/d, you can advertise here.

Comment

Working...
                      X